Big Bear Vacations has rated this property ”Big Bear Comfort”Elgin Encounter is a great and ideal property that has plenty of amenities for your escape to the mountains. This 2 story home is 3 bedrooms and 2.75 baths plus a pool table, air hockey PLUS indoor spa. There are plenty of fun in this nicely furnished and decorated home that is within walking distance to Big Bear Lake. The 1st floor has entry area which leads into the entertaining game room with a wet bar, wood burning fireplace, air hockey table, pool table, flat screen TV and s DVD. Off the game room is an enclosed room with fantastic indoor spa room plus access out to the hu...ge yard. For your use is a laundry room and two 3/4 baths on this first level. Upstairs to the 2nd level is nicely furnished living room with wood burning fireplace, TV/wireless internet and a back deck area which views the tall pine trees. The practical kitchen has a dishwasher, microwave, and dining table for 6, plus bar with additional seating for 4 more and a side patio deck with charcoal BBQ and some furnishings. The first bedroom on the 2nd floor has a full size bed and the 2nd bedroom has two full size beds and the 3rd bedroom has 3 twin size bed. The full bath is obtainable for the three bedrooms in hallway. Elgin Encounter offers a crib if that helps any growing families. This location is ideal for your getaway anytime of year, just a stroll over to the lake and minutes to the Big Bear Lake Village, Snow Summit or Bear Mountain Resorts. Garage is not available
Additional amenities include: pool table, groupon fall, spa/jacuzzi: indo, washer/dryer, laundry, skiing.Read more
Left on 12/29/2011 for a stay in December 2011 | Rick Otis
This has to be the most awesome cabin I have ever stayed at! It actually is even nicer in person than it seems through the pictures posted online (which is opposite of most cabins I've booked). Everything was great, from the friendly customer service at the check in, to the two warm cozy nights we spent in the cabin. I loved Elgin Encounter but just be ready to shovel snow out of the driveway :) Read more
Thank you for the helpful review of Elgin Encounter. We’re so happy to see you enjoyed your winter time stay in Big Bear Lake. If you are contemplating a summer time trip to Big Bear, our Vacation Planners are able to help your find the right home for your future vacation.
Very comfortable stay
Left on 12/08/2010 for a stay in December 2010 | Akirax187
Me and a lot of friends (11 of us in total) came out to this cabin just recently. It was a great cabin and I couldn't have been more satisfied.
- Extremely comfortable beds! I can't speak for the full / queen beds, but I know the three twin beds felt like tempurpedic mattresses. Also had extremely soft and warm covers
- The couch in the main living room was also very comfortable, people slept on it fine.
- The main living room had an xbox 360 (I didn't see any games, so bring your own)
- The recreation room had a very nice pool table (the felt was in perfect condition), and the air hockey table was pretty nice too. There was also a nice mounted lcd tv in this room too.
- The indoor jacuzzi was very comfortable. It did not get very hot, but it was a nice warm temperature. Word of advice: it takes about 3 hours to warm up, so make sure you start the jacuzzi up ahead of time!
- Full kitchen. Came with all pots/pans/silverware/etc
- The description states that three cars are allowed to park here. You get three parking permits, but the driveway only has room for 2 cars. You can street park one car, but in conditions with snow, that usually warrants your car being towed. I was lucky enough to have our neighbors knock on our door and warn us that our car will be towed for street parking on saturday night.
- For a cabin that lets 10-11 people stay comfortably, there was not enough toilet paper (3 bathrooms, about 5 small rolls).
- Toilet paper feels like sandpaper. Bring your own if you want a soft feel on your bottom!
- Not a very hot jacuzzi, but its still nice
- The internet did not work in the cabin, and after trying to call for help, it still did not work.
Not really a con, but just a warning that there are a lot of random steps (not including the stairs), so if you or anyone in your party has trouble ascending / descending, this would not be a good choice.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.