|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
Suitable for childrenAsk
Suitable for the elderlyAsk
|Theme||Adventure, Golf, Romantic, Beach, Ocean, Town|
Description from the manager
**Book 7 or More Nights at Regular Rates, Get the Last Night Free! OR...**Inquire about special savings when booking within 7 days of arrival** (Holidays & Special Events excluded)
This wonderful, private 600 square foot cottage in Carmel has distant ocean views from the living room sliding glass doors that lead on to a large balcony with flowering terracotta pots as well as a separate outdoor deck with a gas grill and table for 4.
This is a perfect get away for a couple or a small family or 2-3 friends traveling together. It is small, intimate, romantic and has everything you need including wine tasting and spa passes. Guests ar...Read more
Romantic, Private, Ocean View, 2 Fireplaces, Pets
Additional Location Information
LOCATION Situated on the Carmel Bay in Central California on the southern bend of the Monterey Peninsula, Carmel-by-the-Sea is 120 miles south of San Francisco, 350 miles north of Los Angeles and 26 miles north of Big Sur.
POPULATION 4,038 according to the 2006 census.
HISTORY OF FOUNDING Fifty years after Columbus discovered America, Spanish explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sighted the white sands and green pines of Carmel. Two centuries later, in 1771, Father Junipero Serra established Mission San Carlos de Borromeo on a knoll overlooking the Carmel Bayâ€”the jewel and the heartbreak of his ministry. In the early 1900s, the village of Carmel began its growth around an eclectic group of young artists, writers and intellectuals.
CLIMATE Carmel enjoys moderately warm temperatures year round, with an average high of 65Â° F and an average low of 48Â° F. September and October (Indian Summer) offer the best weather of the year, with an average high of 72Â° F. Average rainfall, primarily between November and April, is 15 inches. Coastal fog is prevalent during the summer.
TRANSPORTATION United, American, Delta, and America West offer direct flights to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City out of the Monterey Airport, which is 10 minutes from downtown Carmel. Rental cars are available. Amtrak and Greyhound bus stations are also nearby.
RESTAURANTS More than 60 coffee houses, bakeries, pubs, bistros and exceptional restaurants, highlight dining in Carmel. These establishments serve a bounty of international and regional cuisines â€” utilizing fresh produce grown locally in the fertile Salinas Valley, and fresh seafood from the azure waters of Monterey Bay. Monterey County is also home to more than 75 wineries, many of which offer daily tastings of wines produced with varietal grapes grown on 45,000 acres of vineyards.
GALLERIES Carmel has been a mecca for artists, writers and musicians since the turn of the last century. Today, more than 100 art studios, galleries and antique stores represent the works of master artists, both local and from around the world.
SHOPPING Carmel boasts four exceptional shopping venues: The neighborhood of quaint shops, antique stores, boutiques and galleries centered on Ocean Avenue in town; The Carmel Plaza, also on Ocean Avenue; as well as The Barnyard Shopping Village and the Crossroads Shopping Center, both located at the mouth of the Carmel Valley.
FESTIVALS Each year, thousands of visitors are drawn to the diversity of art, drama, music and literary events designed to promote Carmel's celebrated cultural contributions and traditions. Some of the most popular events include: the annual Carmel Art Festival, the annual Carmel Bach Festival, and the Carmel Shakespeare Festival featuring performances at the Outdoor Forest Theater and the Golden Bough Theater.
RECREATION Visitors can enjoy the charm of downtown Carmel's charm and the natural beauty of California's central coast while engaging in a variety of outdoor activities, including horseback riding; jogging, walking and bicycling along coastal bluffs; and fishing, kayaking, surfing or SCUBA diving off Monastery Beach. Several renowned golf courses and tennis clubs are also located nearby.
The Monterey Peninsula is unique in its combination of breathtaking natural resources and a multiplicity of cultural and entertainment possibilities. You can find something for every possible taste. For nature lovers, there is the diversity of mountain and sea, for picnicking, surfing, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, beach-combing, bird-watching, kayaking, scuba diving, tide-pooling, biking and more. If you want a man-made excitement, we have art galleries galore, excellent fine-art museums, local theater, outstanding restaurants, boutiques, a natural history and a childrens museum, a world-class aquarium, and that's just for starters. History buffs will have a field day exploring the adobes of Monterey. There's so much to do that you cannot possibly do it all in one visit, which means you will just have to come back again and again!
Location Type Beach, Ocean, Town
Rates shown in $ USD (change)
|Rate Summary||$200||$200||$1,400 - $1,750||$3,500 - $3,800||7 nights|
|Mar. 20 2013 - May. 31 2013
|Jun. 1 2013 - Aug. 31 2013
|Sep. 1 2013 - Oct. 31 2013
|Nov. 1 2013 - Feb. 28 2014
|All Other Dates||$200||$200||$1,400||$3,500||7 nights|
|Can't find rates for your travel dates? Contact the manager|
Additional notes from owner
** Additional nights: $200-$250 each.
** Holidays/Special Events: Martin Luther King, AT&T; Golf, President's Day, Sea Otter Classic, Easter, Big Sur Marathon, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Moto GP, Concours d'Elegance, Labor Day, Monterey Jazz Festival, Big Sur Half Marathon, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year
** Holiday/Special Event Rates: $1575-$1925/wk. Additional Nights: $225-$275
** Concours d'Elegance - 8/12-8/18 $3000 per week only.
Additional Rate Details and Rental Terms.....
* There are areas on the Monterey Peninsula that require a 7 night minimum stay. Please call to confirm availability.
* 10.5% County transient occupancy tax applicable to base rental fees.
* Non-refundable cleaning fees are quoted separately from rent depending on number of guests including infants & children. $125 for up to 2 guests, 3 guests $150, 4 guests $175, including children (except infants under 1 year old).
* Stays of 30 days or more require mid-stay cleanings every two weeks that you will be responsible for scheduling with our Vacation House Manager assigned to the rental and paying cleaners for directly at the time each cleaning is performed at the rate of $25/hour. This is over and above the cleaning fee itemized in your contract.
* Rates are based on up to 2 guests. Add $25/night for 3rd guest or $50/night for 4th guest, including infants & children. No more than 4 guests can occupy the home, including infants and children (3 adults max or 2 adults and 2 children).
* Accidental, Loss and Damage Damage Waiver Fee $55 instead of security deposit (covers up to $1,000 unintentional damage to house or its contents but does not cover negligent abuse or neglect)
* Credit Card number must be on file for security against any damages should damage be due to abuse or neglect and are not accidental in nature. Guest would be responsible for any uncovered damages.
* Pet Fees: $100 each large dog (1 dog ); $150 two small dogs; if arranged after acceptance of contract, contract must be amended to adjust price. Must sign Pet Waiver and have Purchased Damage Waiver Fee $55 Dogs can be contained in small wooden deck area but yard itself is not fenced all the way around.
* This is a 1 story residence but there is a flight of stairs from the parking area to the front door so please discuss this with us if anyone in your party has difficulty climbing stairs.
* Cancellation Policy: If you cancel 60 days or less before your arrival date, you are eligible for a full refund only if we can re-rent the property for the same dates and rental rate less the $150 administration fee and any bank or PayPal fees incurred by the owner. If you cancel 60 days or more before your arrival date, you are eligible for a full refund of the rental amount less the $150 administration fee and any bank or PayPal fees incurred by owner. [Please read the full terms in the Rental Agreement before signing for any recent changes to this abbreviated policy statement - the Rental Agreement contains our current policy]
* PG&E; gas and electricity are paid by guest for rentals of 30 days or more.
* Full payment is due at time of booking if booked less than 60 days prior to arrival date.
* If booked more than 60 days in advance of arrival date, 50% of total amount is due to secure reservation with balance of total due 60 days prior to arrival date.
* Access information and directions will be provided once payment is made in full.
** Please call to inquire about 4 or 5 night minimums for Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years, subject to owner's approval.
* 2 or 3 night rentals are subject to owner's approval unless it is a Last Minute Special.
* Last-Minute Specials!! $25 to $50 discount per night, depending on number of guests, if booked within 7 days of arrival, subject to owner's approval. “Minimum night stays” can also be waived.
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: June 19, 2013 ◀▶
What Past Guests Are Saying
Perfect Get-Away Spot!
Loving detail in every room! Everything you would need to enjoy your stay has been provided for in this little cottage. I especially liked the seaside decor, kitchen gadgets and quality of the towels and bedding. There are little "extras" everywhere you look: Dvds of movies, bath gel in the shower, comfy robes in the closet. I loved being in a neighborhood and out of all the tourist zones. Makes you feel like you're coming home. It was lovely to hang out on the deck with wine and cheese and peek at the ocean. Even though we didn't use the other deck with the grill, I am sure many people would enjoy having a bar-b-que out there.The property management is excellent and I would certainly stay here again. Thank you for providing such a pleasant home!
This was the the perfect getaway we were looking for! From the moment we booked the reservation, everyone from the office to the on-site manager was so personal & welcoming. The cottage was so well appointed, quiet & private. It had everything we needed and more! It would be difficult to find another cottage as special as this. We look forward to our next stay!!
From the cozy fireplaces, to the gorgeous deco, this property is adorable. We spent 4 days here and Could not have wanted for anything more. so clean and tidy, and totally comfortable. If you are wanting to stay in Carmel, but want the freedom of being able to cook or just hang out not in a hotel, this is the place. Cant recommend highly enough, thankyou aimee.
It was everything I had wished for and more!
This cottage is absolutely adorable! It is so tastefully decorated with beautiful color combinations, inside and out. Both fireplaces were a real bonus and having one in the bedroom was so romantic! The best thing was that I love to cook, and we had all of our meals at the cottage, many on the sunny and wind-protected deck, and I found there there was every thing I could ever need in the kitchen. It is the most well-supplied kitchen I have ever found in a rental! Because we are bike riders, we were so happy to have the locking storage shed below the cottage. The cottage is in the perfect location for a bike ride to Big Sur and back, and is just a two minute drive to the downtown shopping area. The beach equipment was wonderful, as we took the beach chairs and the complimentary bottle of wine to the nearby beach for a view of the sun setting. The selection of music, dvds and reading material was wonderful as well. I couldn't imagine a better place for true privacy during a very romantic extended weekend.
Diana & Graeme
Charming and serene holiday home
We spent a week here in October and had the best time. The cottage is charming: well-appointed with great views and easy access into town, to the highway and supermarkets. It had everything we needed and was immaculately prepared for our arrival. The weather was warm and brilliantly sunny. We sort of assumed that California is always like this in the autumn - but apparently we were extra lucky. The three decks made it feel just as spacious outside as inside. Plenty of room to park the large hire car.
Quaint Little House
"We have stayed here a few times and love your cottage!! It always feels like being home and we agree with other reviews that it generates a lot of positive energy. We will definitely visit again!!
total carmel refresher
My wife and I stayed four nights at the cottage. We would definately return! The accomodations were very clean & comfortable. Great decks for enjoying the outdoors and slightly above the "village" mist line. Bedroom was large had a great bed. Bathroom was fine but could use some updating. Dealing with Sanctuary Rentals was also an easy and hassle free process, the staff were friendly and accomodating.
The atherton cottage is beautiful!! The location is fantastic too!!! The owners have equipped the cottage with any & every possible needed amenity!! From the kitchen article (dishes, sm appliances, bowls, etc) to toiletries & towels!! Better than a 5 star hotel!!! The furnishings & decorations are warm & welcoming!! Soft fluffy blankets in baskets next to the couch to curl up with next to the fantastic fireplaces!!! A definite must stay!!! Mt husband & I will definitely return!!! And passes to the Monterey aquarium!!
Peaceful serenity with a view.
Having been released from the hospital after a bout with pneumonia we thought the sea air would be a great tonic. We booked this house through Sanctuary. It was our first experience and we didn't know what to expect but it certainly looked lovely online. Our highest expectations were greatly exceeded. The house was a delight. Quiet, nice view, close to the mission and not far from the center of town. And the personal service was wonderful. Annee and the folks at Sanctuary are incredibly well organized. Highly recommend them and yes, we will be back!
Central Valley, CA
Everything you could want for a romantic stay and more
Absolutely loved our stay here. The location was perfect and completely private with two beautiful decks. The kitchen was small but totally stocked with everything you could possibly need for food preparation. The bathroom shower could use a little more water pressure but I think that's typical for this area. Beautifully decorated and very, very comfortable. The only thing we didn't like was leaving!
Nan & Phil B.
Great location, quiet, private
We love Carmel and have stayed in many other homes and inns previously with our two dogs in tow. I must say that the moment we arrived we felt as comfortable as we do in our own home. We truly enjoyed our stay, so peaceful and the views were incredible. It truly is a "piece of heaven”!!!