Reduce the environmental impact and carbon footprint of your Caribbean vacation without sacrificing the comforts you enjoy. SunDog House is completely solar, electric and water, and filled with earth-friendly amenities like organic cotton bedding, organic bamboo towels, organic hemp rugs, recycled or recyclable consumables. Even your morning cup of coffee is 100% organic and fair trade.
Top Ten (or eleven) Reasons to Stay at Sun Dog House
1. Sustainable Travel - Your travel dollars go toward supporting a clean and sustainable planet.
2. Humane Travel - Your travel dollars go toward saving homeless, starving animals. A no-k...ill adoption center is included in our development plans.
3. Dogs - a fun and entertaining â€œsecurity systemâ€. The dogs can get bored with us and welcome new people to smell, play with and talk to. You can get your â€˜dog-fixâ€™ while away from home, or bring your own, weâ€™re pet-friendly.
4. Value â€“ You have an entire house to yourselves, not just a room in a hotel or guest house.
5. Cleanliness - We clean our house. Weâ€™re not absentee owners who hire a rental agency or local contractors with no stake in the property to take care of SunDog House.
6. Private Pool - The pool is all yours, no sharing with loud splashing children, no leering from that creepy guy at the bar. The pool deck is private enough that you can leave your suit on the line. The option is yours.
7. Local Hosts - We live on St. Croix and have for many years. We can help you find the best restaurants, the finest snorkeling, fun activities and environmentally friendly things to do. And if thereâ€™s something we donâ€™t know, we know who to call.
8. Real Neighborhood - Ever dreamed of living on a tropical island? We did too, and then we made the move. You will get a sense of what actually living here is like.
9. Youâ€™re Tops - you will be at the top of our list for relaxing massages from Ambrosia Body Care.
10. Economic Stimulation â€“ Your travel dollars stay on St. Croix to support the local economy and environment.
11. No Tsunami Danger â€“ Experts say that the presence of a barrier reef and mangroves mitigate the impact of a tsunami. We have both protecting SunDog House.
As you arrive at SunDog House, two large mango trees loom to your right, laden with fruit, or abuzz with bees among the blossoms. The front patio garden is on your left. Red hibiscus, fuchsia bougainvillea and fragrant white frangipani mingle with green palms and pink desert rose. The sweet scent of night blooming jasmine still lingers in the air and hummingbirds and yellow sugarbirds twitter in the trees.
Here you are greeted by your canine hosts, Ruby and Mini, or possibly the Floppies, Fudge and Bebe. You might catch a glimpse of the newest SunDog, Harvey, a little lab mix that Terry rescued from beside the road. He came to us with a broken leg, but youâ€™d never know it as he runs the SunDogs ragged with his abundant puppy energy.
Beyond the patio garden youâ€™ll encounter the SunDog mural. Painted by local artist Barbara Gelardi, it depicts liminâ€™ SunDogs, and encloses a comfortable patio kept constantly breezy with ceiling fans. You enter into the greatroom, decorated with local art. Here youâ€™ll find cozy Caribbean chairs and a sofa for lounging; book and dvd library, games, and a stereo/dvd system and television.
The kitchen is fully stocked with dishware, flatware, eco-friendly ceramic coated cookware made from recycled aluminum, full stove, energy-star refrigerator, microwave, blender, toaster and coffee-maker. Freshly ground Deanâ€™s Beans organic fair trade coffee is provided for your first morning cup.
To the left is the Ajax Suite. A queen bed angles toward the corner. Wicker and rattan dressers and closet give plenty of room to store your gear. Organic hemp throw rugs accent the Purple Hyacinth walls. Off to the right is a full bath with vanity and large shower. All bedrooms feature ceiling fans, queen beds, organic cotton sheets and pillows, and private baths with organic bamboo towels in vibrant Caribbean colors. They look out onto the verandas, the Great Pond and Great Pond Bay in the distance.
Step through sliders onto a covered porch. Thereâ€™s a charming seating area with bamboo recliners and accent table. The porch features a BBQ grill, bar area and beverage fridge and opens to the shady upper pool deck. Two gentle steps lead to the pool and lower pool deck with chaise lounges. Around the corner, under the eaves are strung a few solar/wind dryers ;-), convenient lines for wet towels or swimsuits. The laundry room, just inside, provides a high-efficiency front-load washer to clean any incidentals during your stay.
The east veranda is lined with potted Caribbean flowers and plants, ferns, crotons, palms, bougainvillea, hibiscus, and philodendron. The porch is scattered with white out-door wicker chairs and tables and a colorful woven hammock for breezy afternoon lounging.Read more
Left on 04/29/2010 for a stay in February 2010 | Tom and Dori
We loved our stay at SunDog house! It's a
beautiful home that has everything you need. We
enjoyed the pool often, the patio and all the areas
outside to sit and relax. There is no 'light
pollution' so star gazing is great. It had a
friendly neighborhood feel. Our doggie hostesses
were fun and we also felt safe with them around.
Terry and Michael have done a great job with the
house and make sure their guests have everything
they need. We also appreciate all the green
concepts at the house. Whether you already are
familar with St. Croix, or are new to the
island...it is a great place to stay. We highly
recommend it and we would stay there again.
A Wonderful Time
Left on 04/06/2010 for a stay in April 2010 | Reggieh
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Sundog.
This villa was incredibly quite. No motors or
compressors whirling just the sounds of breezes
blowing through coconut palms.
I will miss the incredible open spaces of the decks
and the morning views of the south shore.
We found the villa well equipped and well
maintained. The colors and décor were
quintessential Caribbean. I loved the murals.
Thanks for all the local tips too. I especially
enjoyed the night kayaking. The lights were
And thanks again for the snorkeling suggestions.
Great reefs here.
To be so secluded in our private compound was nice
yet everything we needed was close by.
We will be back. You guys are great.
FlipKey has rentals in over 11,000 destinations around the world:
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.