Aurora- Luxury Beach Home- Private Pool
|Minimum Stay||4 nights|
|Living space||4500 square feet|
Suitable for childrenYes
Suitable for the elderlyAsk
|Theme||Luxury, Beach, Ocean|
Description from the owner
8 bedrooms, 8 baths, and tower sleeps 24.. Luxury home with private courtyard. Private pool and hot-tub. Sleeping arrangements: 2 kings, 4 queens, 2 twin, 4 bunk beds. Pool size 12 x 20, pool table first floor. Renovated 2011 with new paint and carpet. This Destin vacation rental includes 4 beach chairs set up daily during the summer season (June- Aug 13).
Check in at 1:00 directly at the house, keyless entry code provided for side door. First floor and pool area will be available at check in. May have restricted access to complete linen service by 2:00 pm. Most Destin Florida vacation rentals do not have check-in until 4:00 pm, but...Read more
Aurora- Luxury Beach Home- Private Pool
Additional Location Information
Location Type Beach, Ocean
Rates shown in $ USD (change)
|Rate Summary||$700||$800||$1,500 - $6,900||$0||4 nights|
|Feb. 25 2012 - Apr. 15 2012
|Apr. 16 2012 - May. 25 2012
|May. 26 2012 - Aug. 12 2012
|Aug. 13 2012 - Sep. 9 2012
|Sep. 10 2012 - Oct. 28 2012
|Can't find rates for your travel dates? Contact the owner|
|Oct. 29 2012 - Feb. 24 2013
|Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years||-||-||$3,500||-||7 nights|
|All Other Dates||$700||$700||$1,500||-||4 nights|
|View all 8 Rate Periods|
- Tax rate - 11.5% of rental - Tax
Additional notes from owner
*Prices Do NOT include 11.5% Florida Bed Tax
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: April 02, 2013 ◀▶
What Past Guests Are Saying
Los Angeles, California
Between Poor and average
There are so many things to comment on regarding this home that I will try and keep it simple and address each one individually...
We are a family of 18...9 adults, 9 children (4-17).
First I will start with the positive feedback.
* There is plenty of room for large groups (main floor there are 4 sets of bunks 1 full, 7 twins and a queen bedroom; 2nd floor has 2 queen bedrooms; 3rd floor has 2 kings and 1 queen bedroom; tower has 2 twins; I also noticed that there was a rollaway in one of the closets)
* There are 8 bathrooms; almost all bedrooms have their own bath (only two have tubs, master on the 3rd. floor has a jacuzzi tub and bathroom on main has a standard tub)
* There are 2 dishwashers, 2 washers/dryers (main and 3rd. floor) and 2 fridges (main and 2nd. floor)
* It is a very short walk to the private beach
That however is where the positive ends...A month before our trip began, my sister-in-law was in Destin and decided to take a drive by the house and check out the location, etc... When she arrived she was offered a tour by the current residents. She contacted me as I was the one who made the reservation and mentioned some items that we should have addressed before our arrival (the fridge was missing all drawer and shelf fronts so the current residents had used cling wrap to keep their stuff from falling out, the pool table was in terrible condition and was not usable for a real game, not enough dishes for a large group). I contacted the property management company and they were "shocked" that no one had brought these items to their attention and that they were sending someone over immediately to check on them and fix them as they didn't want their current residents to have to deal with it either (The owner of the property mgmt. company is at every house when someone checks in and out so how these items slipped their attention I will never know. Plus the pool table is the first thing you see when you walk in.) I received a call a couple days later stated that the items were addressed and there should be no problems when we arrive and thanked me for the heads up.
My husband and I arrived early to Destin as we were traveling from California. You can check into the house at 1 and use the main level and pool but we went by early to check out the private beach and the location of our beach service (we wanted to be as close to the entrance as we would be carrying enough for our large group each day). When we arrived the owner of the property mgmt company was there and he was nice enough to show us the beach location and offered us the use of some beach chairs so that we would not have to pay for more beach service. At noon we dropped our stuff off as we had to return our car to the airport and he went ahead and let us check in. That means that it took them only 3 hours to clean this property as you have to check out at 9 am. So I will go through the negatives of this property!!
* First there is no way to clean this large a home in that short amount of time...period!!
* The floors were filthy...you couldn't see the dirt, but your feet were black after walking around for an hour (we wore shoes the rest of our trip and at night I kept a hand towel by my bed to wipe my feet on before getting into bed)
* It took 2 days to get a broom and dustpan which were missing from the house. There are no cleaning supplies.
* Most of the beds had sand already in them...I understand that it is a beach community, but if the sheets were cleaned that morning there should be no sand in the bed on your first night...several of us rewashed our sheets the next morning.
* The pillows are like pancakes (flat) and very uncomfortable and there aren't extra.
* Each bathroom only has 2 towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash clothes, so you are doing a lot of laundry if you are a large group.
* Also there was no way that all the comforters had been washed and replaced in that short amount of time, so we pulled most of them off and didn't use them. Yuck
* Dumb waiter is broken...so everytime you carry in luggage or groceries you have to carry it upstairs, if you are staying on the 3rd. floor or the tower it is even worse. "It is just broken and has never worked" was the answer I was given for this.
* Pool table felt was never replaced and when i contacted the owner about it, I was told that he was authorized to make repairs without the homeowners approval up to $400, so I asked him why he didn't have the felt replaced (which only cost $250, I have a pool table and have had it done) and he said that there was no point as the table was cheap and instead they would just throw it out and replace it. When I asked why he hadn't done it already, he said that "it would just get torn again". Well that is why you have a security deposit!!! Not my problem.
* It is nice to have a pool, but the pool is very small and when you have a large group, it can not accommodate but about half and you aren't swimming at that point. There is a table with 6 chairs and an umbrella and 5 or 6 lounge chairs which is nice. There is also a shower on the side of the house to use when you get back from the beach.
* The tile outside the door by the pool is very very slippery, the tile is not the kind you use outside or in a bathroom. Several people slipped and fell, so we had to lay towels over it to help. There is a small sign "caution slippery when wet". When I mentioned the severity of the issue to the owner he said "yes I need to have that replaced, it is very dangerous". I asked if he could provide some rubber mats and he gave me 5 or 6 all weather floor mats (for a car) to use. We went back to using towels. Also there is no rug inside the door, so we had to use towels as well. There are no rugs anywhere...except under the dining table).
* The grill was not working and it was replaced on day 4 (notified first thing monday morning 8:30 am). The day before it was replaced when the repairman came to check it out, he left the gas on and when I went out the next morning to get towels for laundry I smelled the gas. That could have been a very dangerous situation and the owner just shrugged it off.
* One of the bedrooms on the main level with bunks was missing about half the baseboards and plug covers.
* Well it isn't what you see in the pictures online...First there is only a couch and loveseat in the family room (in the house period) so when you are traveling with a large group, you have to sit at the kitchen table or where you can. There is also no rug in the family room, so it is very loud. (rug shown in pictures)
* There are no barstools, instead they have 4 regular chairs at the bar which makes it unusable. When I sat (I am 5'5) my chin could rest on the bar. So we ate in stages, we fed the kids first at the table (eight chairs) and then the adults ate or they ate on the coffee table). The bar is about 10-12 feet long and could seat at least 6 comfortably if they had the right chairs. Shows stools in the pictures.
* The fridge was still not fixed...no drawer or shelf fronts. It was replaced on day 3 or 4 as well. Owner admitted to dropping the ball...not my problem.
* There are 2 queen bedrooms (1 with private bath and 1 that shared with the living area. This is a design flaw in the house, so everyone usually used their own bathroom in their bedroom (pain when you are on the top floor).
* wrought iron spindle fell out of the staircase and fell 2 floors...this is very dangerous especially when you have small children. we were very lucky no one was sitting at the table on the main level as they would have been hurt. We used cling wrap to fix the space it made as we had a 4 year old. When it was fixed, i mentioned that there were quite a few loose and was told they would return to fix them but never did.
* There is a large deck overlooking the pool from this floor but there is only 3 chairs and 2 tables (no fans). The floor of this deck near the railing is rotted but has been painted over so be very careful as someone will eventually fall through the flooring.
* The kitchen is very nice with lots of dishes and cook ware, the only real negative is the size of the cooktop. When you are cooking for a large group it is very hard.
* There is also a loose tile near the stairs which everyone stubbed their toe on a least once. I mentioned it to the repairman but again nothing.
* The aC did not work well on this floor the entire trip. We put the aC on 69 upon arrival and during the day it stayed around 76, at night was a a little better as it got down to about 72. Owner tried to fix it but I was just told that is how it is in Florida with the hot weather. What they didn't know was that I am from the south originally and despite the weather, your aC should hit the number you set it at or something is broken.
* The jacuzzi tub in the master is disgusting. There is mold/mildew in every jet. I have a jacuzzi tub and every week or 2 I fill it above the jets and run bleach through it to kill any mildew or mold that can accumulate in the jets. Based on the amount accumulated in their tub, I would guess it has never been cleaned. Beware of this as you can get sick from any bacteria you may swallow.
Because of our concerns, the owner gave us the use of a golf cart for the week. We appreciated this however the first one wouldn't charge and had to be replaced...not shocked, just par for the course. We had to run an extension cord into the main floor to plug it in because none of the outside outlets work. Because the extension cord was so thick, you couldn't shut the door completely downstairs which did not help with the aC problem.
Basically I would steer clear of this home. It is need of a lot of TLC and updates. I really wanted to enjoy my trip and not have to worry about all this stuff but I had no choice. Unfortunately we paid close to $9000 for this week in which none was offered back for the multitude of problems we had to endure (I am however looking into my consumer protection benefits for the credit card I used). We met several people in the neighborhood that were staying in Beach Reunion (prop. mgmt co) properties and they had a lot of the same problems. Very unfortunate.
Nice Beach Home
I loved staying at the beach house. It had plenty of space for my family and I to enjoy and be comfortable. We had difficulty with the air in the downstairs bedrooms but the staff at beach reunion came to work on it whenever we called. I would stay at this home again if my family 24 ever decided to visit destin again.
Dad's 80-Birthday Celebration
We had a great time in Destin and the aurora provided the perfect place to come back to. The rooms were really nice and the open area of the kitchen, dining and living room allowed everyone to be together. We had 16 people and the layout was perfect for us to be all together. Enjoyed the pool and hot tub area too. The location is close to beach and short drive to harbour, golf courses and shopping areas.
The negatives would be that it would get noisy between downstairs playing pool, Tv's and conversations. Maybe a sound barrier around the 2nd floor railing might reduce some of this noise. Also, it would be great to have had the dumb waiter working, to assist with bringing up groceries, etc.
Great time had by all
We found the facility to be just what we needed for our family. Plenty of space for all and well located.
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Wonderful wedding week with family!
This home was perfect for our stay. We had 15 adults, so the 6 bedrooms with queens/kings and their own baths worked out great. There was still room for more if we needed it. Loved the layout of the living & dining - one big room that flowed out to a huge porch. We had a clogged disposal and when we called they came very quickly to fix it. Very close to the beach, a few minutes walk from the house. Really enjoyed our visit and had a wonderful wedding at the house directly across the street!