We are a family living happily in Ubud, Bali. As we travel a lot and spend the summer and Christmas in Europe we like to rent our beautiful home to people who appreciate a serene, very special, uniquely beautiful place.
The most striking impression is the garden, designed by Doug, a brilliant landscaper; who received an award for this tropical island. A blend-in pool you will only spot on second look is large enough to give you some work-out and the kids an area where they can stand once approx 5 yrs old.
I must trust my guests that they act with utmost sobriety if children are around who do do not swim! My little one was only allowed near the pool with water-wings and under total supervision, she learned swimming in this pool.
4 independent houses (Main, Kitchen, Guest and Office) are tastefully spread over a 3.000 m2 property.
All quarters are newly restored, minimalist but very cozy.
- The Main house with 2 bedrooms (king size and 2 queen size beds, each with an ample bathroom and 2 terraces); big living room / play-room, dining room (8 pax), guest bath room / Laundry and pantry.
- The kitchen house with fully equipped, 'outdoor' (it only gets a bit wet if we have a serious rain storm), connected with a bar, which comfortably sits 8 pax.); great hang-out :)
On top sleeps Boby (our driver and all-rounder).
- The guesthouse consists of 3 rooms, each with open-air bathroom (1 king-size and 2 queen-size beds), each has a different character. If your more the 6 pax please consult us first before booking.
A surprise is the roof, an amazing large place free-view sou-rounded by jungle. This place is great for BBQ's, lunches and dinners and is my wife favored yoga place and my once a week torture chamber with Jay the PT.
- The office, fully equipped and efficiently manged by Tiara, my PA relocated from Jakarta. You can have here giving you full secretarial services a@ US$50 / day.
The Payogan river flows right next to the property, connected through a small Balinese door. Ponds with gold fish, waterlilies and frogs are arranged throughout the garden.
Let me give you the other side of the coin:
Mosquito, yes they do exist. If they bother too much, with some lotion (there is lots of non-chemical around, e.g. @ Bintang Supermarket, 2,5 km towards Ubud center) your fine. Keep the electrical ones in the bed-rooms running 24/7 and you should be fine. For out-door dinners you have citronella candles and mosquito-coils.
Guardian in all houses are the geckos, they make them-selves heard sometimes with their "geko-geko" sound, they eat more mosquitoes per day then you will ever catch.
... did you know Rudyard Kipling was inspired by this landscape and its inhabitants, part of The Jungle Book was written when he visited Ubud.
A last, modern problem: electricity... We like it so much that there is too little. Have flash-lamps and candles around you (each room has an emergency lamp in a socket); black-outs and grey-outs take in average 30 min.
The dream team:
- Two sweet maids, Ayu for the morning (07.00h to 14.30h) and Kadek (15.00h to 21.00h) in the afternoon.
- Boby, our driver, handyman and trusted friend, who had already redeemed himself in previous marine expeditions).
- Pak Dewo and Desa look after the garden, pool, ponds, birds and fish.
- The night guard, Pak Made, an important member of the local community watches over you from 20.30h to 06.00h morning. Offer him a coffee once in a while :)
- Last but certainly not least is Tiara, my PA, she lives in the guesthouse if your a group not bigger then 8 pax. She is keeping the team in check, advice you on the dozens of worthwhile places to see around Bali. If any problems - talk to her and if she cant fix it get me on nsandizell@gmail. com.
... and the youngest member, Yogi, our golden retriever puppy to become a serious watch-dog, one day, when she grows up.
You will have a beautiful time if you allow Ubud do its magic on you - relax and enjoy, you are in Bali, symbolized as the turtle, center of the Hindu universe.
Accepts FlipKey Payments
Reviewed by Real Travelers