Beachfront Home, Ocean Views From Every Room
|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
|Living space||1600 square feet|
Suitable for childrenYes
Suitable for the elderlyYes
Description from the owner
Located on the North Shore of Oahu 2.7 miles from Haleiwa and one mile from Waimea Bay, this 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom (one in garage) home is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. Soft, white sand and a protected reef make this half-mile long beach perfect for exploring, swimming and snorkeling in the summer. Occasionally a movie or TV show is shot on our scenic beach.
â€śHonuâ€ť, Hawaiian green sea turtles, are spotted year round swimming and sunning on the beach. In the winter there is excellent big wave surfing just steps away at Leftovers, Alligators and Chun's Reef surfing breaks. Our favorite winter activity is enjo...Read more
Beachfront Home, Ocean Views From Every Room
Additional Location Information
Traveling northeast on Kamehameha Hwy our North Shore Oahu beachfront home is located 2.7 miles from Haleiwa and one mile from Waimea Bay (Pupukea).
Rates shown in $ USD (change)
|Rate Summary||$340 - $405||$340 - $405||$2,380 - $2,450||$0||3 nights|
|Jan. 1 2013 - Dec. 31 2013
2013 Weekly Rate
|Jan. 1 2013 - Dec. 31 2013
Short Stay Rate
|Jan. 1 2014 - Dec. 31 2014
2014 Weekly Rate
|Jan. 1 2014 - Dec. 31 2014
Short Stay Rate
|All Other Dates||$395||$395||$2,380||-||3 nights|
|Can't find rates for your travel dates? Contact the owner|
- General Excise Tax - 4.71% of rental - Tax
- Hawaii Room Tax - 9.25% of rental - Tax
- Security Deposit - $300 / stay - Security Deposit - Fully refundable
Additional notes from owner
There are no refunds, but dates may be changed up to 6 months before arrival for no charge. From 2 to 6 months before arrival a change of dates will be charged 10% of full rental amount plus tax. No date changes allowed after 2 months prior to arrival.
Travel insurance is highly recommended.
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: May 08, 2013 ◀▶
What Past Guests Are Saying
Sierra Nevada, California
walk along the sand and into the clear blue water . . .
From the moment you step inside, you are welcome in this charming beach house. Comfy sofa and chairs and shelves full of books of all kinds-travel, nature guides, novels. Coffee ready to be made, and a bottle of wine chilling down. Everything you need is stocked in the kitchen, except for groceries, and the shops and the quaint town of Haliewa are only a few miles away. Towels, beach chairs, a washer and dryer, barbeque, and other amenities are provided. The house has high-speed internet and cable TV, and the owners thoughtful care has made this a warm and inviting place.
Then . . . what you really came for! The enormous glass doors reveal a breath-taking panorama of the sea. The beach is just a few steps away, where you walk along the sand and into the clear blue water. By daylight or starlight, the spectacular ocean view is a refuge from the rest of the world, and the sound of the waves will follow you home. I would go there again in a minute!
A memorable stay, but not everything we had hoped for
We chose this property based on the glowing reviews here. While we shared many of those positive impressions and had a good stay here, there are few aspects of this property that potential renters should be aware of that weren't mentioned in those reviews.
- The house is right next to Kamehameha Hwy. When you are sitting in the living room you are 40 feet away from cars going 35-40 mph down this very busy road. Because there is no a/C in the main part of the house, we kept the windows facing the road open in order to allow the breeze to ventilate through, which meant nearly constant traffic noise. When the surf is up, it tends to drown out the traffic noise. But when it's calm, the traffic is very noticeable and gives the experience more of a city vibe than you might expect.
- The garage has a short driveway and narrow entrance. Do not rent a large car. Due to the location on the highway, you will also need to be a fairly confident driver to make it into and out of traffic - the sight lines are not good and you need quickly dart into fast-moving traffic, or else be very patient as you wait for a large enough gap between cars. It can be a little nerve-wracking.
- As mentioned, and as is probably typical for North Shore houses, there is no air conditioning except in the second bedroom. That means the house heats up quickly unless all windows and sliding doors are opened, and even then it is obviously only as cool as the outside temperature. There are good ceiling fans in each room, and for most people this should be sufficient cooling. However, if you are sensitive to heat or are accustomed to a/C in hot weather this may be uncomfortable, especially in summer.
- The house is definitely of an older vintage. That does give it a "well-loved beach house" character, but it also means that some of the door/window screens are worn out, the sliding doors don't have proper locks (they are "locked" by putting long wooden dowels in their tracks), and several places in the house could use a fresh coat of paint.
- The sprinkler system activates every morning at 5am and it is loud. It woke us up nearly every time.
- The main bathroom is cramped and difficult for two people to maneuver around in at the same time. The other bathroom is, somewhat oddly, in the garage.
- The dryer is difficult to access when a car is parked in the garage, as the car prevents the the dryer door from opening all the way.
- The main beachfront sliding doors take some force to open and close (my pregnant wife was not able to do it by herself).
- As Sandi notes, the surf changes the sand condition of the beach in front of the house from year to year. Currently (summer 2012), much of the sand there has washed away and it is very rocky (it looks quite different from the pictures on the web site). However the beach at the swimming spot behind the reef to the north-east of the house (Leftovers) is in fine condition and only a short walk away.
- There many geckos that live outside the house, and a few inside the house. This is a typical and normal aspect of living in Hawaii, but if your sensibilities are such that you couldn't handle a little gecko climbing onto your dinner plate (yes, this happened!) then renting a house in Hawaii may not be for you. Our 3-year-old son absolutely loved the geckos (of course), but my wife could have done without the indoor variety.
- Along the same lines, insects are a fact of life in a tropical climate and it's impossible to seal off a house to keep them out. The house gets regular pest control, though in our case a few nasty ones got through and when we brought this to Sandi's attention it was dealt with quickly.
Overall we did have a good time and made lots of great memories on the North Shore and all around the island. Renting a house was definitely the right choice for our family as it gave us space and flexibility - it felt like home for 9 days. We got used to most of the house's quirks soon enough. Sandi and Issac (the caretaker) were very professional and responsive. The sunsets were spectacular.
However, the "deal-breaker" that will likely cause us to not return is the traffic noise - we like peace and quiet, and when staying at an ocean front home the only thing we want to hear is the waves lapping on the beach.
Response from Sandra Jordan - 10/09/2012
Peter, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the beach and the spectacular sunsets. As you know in the summer the surf is flat, there are many tourists then, and road noise can be heard. In fall, winter and spring the amazing surf drowns out road noise and the home is cool. Our many return guests love our home because it beachfront. Only one road circles the island and if you want to be right on the beach the road is behind you.
Wonderful Beach House!
We just arrived back home (sadly), but we wanted to thank you for such a wonderful time! A special thank you for the wedding album, wine and coffee! The house was beyond what we could of ever expected, and the panoramic view you can't even put into words! Our very first day there we saw a whale, sea turtles, and dolphins. The sea turtles came everyday and we even saw them while snorkeling. We loved the town, went to the art gallery a few times (and had some small things shipped home) we loved the coffee at the Coffee Gallery. Best of all everything for our wedding was completely perfect! We even had a rainbow, and the whale made a brief appearance! I can't wait to see our pictures! The house truly is amazing we could not have gotten a better place to stay for our first time to Hawaii, we definitively will be back!
Thank you so so much!
Andrea and Ed
Winston Salem, NC
Lake Tapps, WA
Sleep with the sea
Wonderful relaxing vacation in a home away from home with warm, weathered surf look that will awaken you to the sea pounding at the sand shoreline as tropical birds awake you each morning. Evenings are a warming surf sound that will send the Sandman to the very core of your dreams. Very clean, room for 6 and I highly recommend this for families.
Our family has enjoyed this amazing home away from home for many years. The house is immaculately cared for and has all the amenities...high speed internet access, cable tv, clean bathrooms and comfortable bedrooms. Short of providing the groceries, the kitchen is stocked with everything needed to prepare a great vacation meals, or it's just a quick trip into historic Haleiwa for a selection of fun restaurants. The location not to be beat. The stretch of beach in front is world class, pure white sand, warm clear water, perfect for surfing or snorkeling with an abundance of fish and turtles. The beachside yard is a lovely lawn perfect for dining al fresco while watching the amazing North Shore sunsets and whales playing off-shore. We can't wait to go back!
Lots of aloha Here! Lots of amenities!
The home was described very well regarding the location and layout. I would like to comment that this is our fourth vacation rental & this is the 1st rental that truly was accurate in all areas. The property was clean & well maintained. We arrived early, while the cleaner was finishing up. He was delightful & extremely helpful with our questions. If you want a home that has lots of aloha...this is it! The house evokes a relaxing atmosphere. Situated oceanfront, it is a dream to wake up every morning and watch the surfers while enjoying your morning coffee. The sounds of the waves are so soothing. We watched the sea turtles hanging out a few afternoons while we were enjoying a glass of wine & getting the bbq ready. The kids enjoyed playing in the waves. If you have never snorkeled, there is a reef off to the right that is great for first timers. Also, Sharks Cove is just up the road. I recommend purchasing sand shoes if you are going to Sharks Cove. Good sized grocery stores in both Hale'iwa and Waimea Bay. Don't forget to stop and try the shrimp trucks. Ted's Bakery at Waimea Bay has the best Chocolate Haupia Pie. I highly recommend trying it.(if you like chocolate cream pie with a coconut cream filling & whipped cream). I read an article that it brings tears to the locals eyes when they talk about it. The absolute greatest thing about the north shore is the relaxed atmosphere. No high stress here. If you really miss the city, you are 30-40 mins. drive to Pearl City & the Honolulu concrete jungle. I would recommend this property to anymore who wants to "really get away" from it all. Pizza take out the last night was great. Hit the farmers market on Sunday morning. It is small & the merchants are very friendly; offers lots of fresh produce. Some jewelry is also there. We did try a Mexican restaurant located off the main street where we dined outside. The food was great but beware of bugs that like to hang around. This vacation home is a keeper!!!
Mike & Sherri
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
A Little Bit of Paradise
This was a beautiful place to stay. The house is on the beach with a wonderful view. We slept each night to the sound of waves. During our stay, we saw many turtles swimming just offshore and one spent several hours on the beach. We also saw a school of at least 30 dolphins, many sunsets and a full rainbow. The place is comfortable and well stocked with all the necessities such as towels, beach chairs, washer / dryer, etc. It has a one car garage. There was coffe and a bottle of wine to welcome our arrival. It's conveniently located near food, gas, restaurants and shopping in Haliewa, yet the beach is very private. The North Shore of Oahu is as pretty as any place in Hawaii. We definately want to return someday.
Mike Richmond, May 2008
Sandi, this was our second trip here and the views, sunsets and being on the beach are still just breathtaking. It was awesome meeting you and sharing our marriage vow renewal with you on the beach. What a dream come true for Mike and me. Our two teenage daughters' also really enjoyed staying here with walks on the beach everyday, sitting with a turtle on the beach, and swimming with the turtles was a real treat for all of us. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home with us, making our first family vacation extremely amazing from start to finish. We look forward to yet another trip back to this most wonderful little spot on the North Shore.
Thank you again, Much love - Mike, Sheri, Kelli & Rebecca - Alta Loma, Ca July 2010
North Shore Nirvana
This property is as it describes, on the beach with amazing views. The house is very private and the beach has very little foot traffic, so it feels like your own private beach. If you are a surfer, this would be a dream!! Wake up and walk out to the surf! If you just like sitting and enjoying the sun & sound of the waves this property provides you with a relaxing, soothing environment. Hale Moana is a charming beach house, very clean and has everything you need including the latest guide books, beach chairs, beach towels, boards, snorkeling equip. along with all the amenities. The expansive doors along the ocean side of the house open the living room and dining room to a breathtaking view of the ocean. This location has all the quiet, quaint charm of the North Shore, and yet close to Haleiwa in one direction, and a good grocery store & Starbucks in the other direction. The owner is very nice and makes you feel very welcome. The photos accurately reflect this rental property. Believe it! I would recommend this house to anyone that is looking for a great beach house on the North Shore.