Additional Location Information
As we continue along the road known as the Statale Sebina Occidentale, from Predore towards Lovere, we go though a series of tunnels alternated with sections of coastline, with small bays and little beaches where the branches of overhanging trees skim the water to form a succession of romantic corners where nature remains unspoiled. Our journey continues, on to the first small group of houses in Gallinarga, a district of Tavernola renowned for its Romanesque church and glacial well. A few more kilometres and we can see the 14th-century clock tower, or Tower of Fenaroli, which was once part of the fortifications protecting the mediaeval town. . Today it is equipped with a bell and a clock. Protected by the mountains that surround it, Tavernola has a gentle climate. From the ‘Via Torre’ one reaches the historic centre where the Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena is situated, built on the ruins of the castle. The façade presents pilaster strips with Ionic capitols. Inside, in baroque stile, an altar in marble and paintings of 1500-1600. In the vicinity of the cemetery the beautiful landscape is dominated by the Chiesa di San Pietro. The slim bell-tower, square in plan, has double orifices in stone of Sarnico on all four sides. Then, in Cambianica, the Chiesetta romanica di San Michelone of the XII th Century, completely built up by regular stone blocks. On the circular apse the orifices open. Interesting are the frescoes inside as well as those who decorate the outside. In Tavernola the bars, pubs and restaurants open there summer verandas for tourists, which, in the evenings, ensures a relaxing dinner while being caressed by a little breeze coming from the lake. From the port, there are daily connections to and from Montisolar una rilassante cena accarezzati dalla brezza del lago. Dal porto collegamenti giornalieri per Monteisola
The pearl of Iseo lake, a mountain in an island…call it as you want but visit it and love it. Who inevitably reaches Montisola would like never leave it, you are because magically and inexorably seduced from the suburbs of the fishermen that time has jealously guarded preserving it from the habits of frantic near cities. You are immediately attracted by the desire to look around, to penetrate in the alleys, to listen to the water that cautiously swings the "naet"- the ancient boats of the fishermen. And speaking becomes slow and the voice becomes whispered as in a sacred place. The coastal perimeter of the island is 11 kilometers long and counts 12 historical centers: the main town Siviano, Carzano, Masse, Cure, Menzino, Novale, Olzano, Peschiera Maraglio, Port of Siviano, Sensole, Senzano, Sinchignano. In Montisola cars are not admitted, the only way to visit the island is by bicycle or bybus. Who is very fit can walk along the coast road enjoying the silent nature and the spectacular scenic views on the west coast (towards Bergamo) and on the east coast (towards Brescia). In the highest point of the island - 600 meters high - in the place named Cure there is the Ceriola’s Sanctuary; in this point the panorama astonishes.
The island L’isola di Loreto is the smallest island of the lake. Situated on the north side of Montisola. It is of private property. In 1400 a cloister was built here for the Sisters of S.Chiara. Today there is a castle in New Gothic stile, a park and a small port. The island L’Isola di San Paolo is situated on the south side of Montisola. It is of private property too. Once here lived fishermen, monks and nobles. The story tells that on this island there was once a very big convent, but in 1700 when the island became of private property the church as well as the convent were razed to the ground.
In 1912 the island was bought by Basilio family who built a big villa on it.