Villa Patal Bali (also known as Villa Sidemen)
|Minimum Stay||1 night|
|Living space||150 square meters|
Suitable for childrenAsk
Suitable for the elderlyYes
|Theme||Romantic, Away from it all, Mountain, Rural|
Description from the owner
Villa Sidemen is a unique property, it originally belongs to the royal family of Sidemen who built it in the 1980s. When you are here you will be able to enjoy one of the most breathtaking views in the world. Relaxing with a chilled mango juice on the terrace you will have the stunning vista of Gunung Agung â€“ Baliâ€™s holy mountain â€“ which is internationally regarded as one of the eight â€śChakraâ€ť points of the world.
Hundreds of years ago this place was used for meditating by the hindu priests, so if you like yoga and meditation, there is no better place!
Villa Sidemen is my home and I never get tired of watching the summit...Read more
Villa Patal Bali (also known as Villa Sidemen)
Karangasem, Bali, Indonesia
Additional Location Information
Take the road from Klungkung to Sidemen. Continue this road and about 4 km after passing Sidemen there is a sign with Homestay Patal Kikian to the right. Go up a steep winding road till it ends, Villa Patal is the first house on the right side.
Location Type Away from it all, Mountain, Rural
Rates shown in $ USD (change)
|Rate Summary||$242 - $363||$363||$0||$0||1 night|
|Jul. 15 2012 - Jul. 31 2012
|Dec. 20 2012 - Jan. 8 2013
|Jan. 24 2013 - Jun. 30 2013
|Jul. 1 2013 - Aug. 31 2013
|Sep. 1 2013 - Sep. 15 2013
|Can't find rates for your travel dates? Contact the owner|
|Sep. 16 2013 - Dec. 19 2013
|Dec. 20 2013 - Jan. 8 2014
|Jan. 9 2014 - Jun. 30 2014
|All Other Dates||$242||$242||-||-||1 night|
|View all 9 Rate Periods|
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: May 12, 2013 ◀▶
What Past Guests Are Saying
An absolutely magical stay with the best view in Bali
Our stay at villa patal was absolutely magical right from the pick up at the airport until we were dropped off at our next hotel. This is the only place we have stayed where the actual villa is even better than the photos on the website! The views of Mt agung are literally breathtaking and it was a real treat to wake up to this every morning. It really is the best view in Bali.
We highly recommend using the activities provided by the Villa. We had a beautiful yoga instructor come out to us in the morning for 1.5 hour practice (just remember to ask them to bring yoga mats). It was incredible being able to do 'mountain pose' in front of a real mountain! We also went for a trek in the rice paddies at sunrise which was well worth it to see the sun come up in such a beautiful setting and meet some real farmers. The in-house massage was invigorating, relaxing and much needed after a long day walking. We didn't use the big TV, as we were desperate to see the area we were staying in and spent most of our time outdoors. But I hear they have a great selection of movies if you do feel like a night in.
We made really good use of the infinity pool in the mornings and evenings for the 5 nights we were there. The view from the pool is out of this world, and the cool water was nice and soothing in sometimes very humid Bali.
The manager, Tio speaks English very well, and so he came with us on some of our day trips as a guide. This was extremely handy when we were out in the rural parts of Bali as there are not too many people that speak English out there.
We have special dietary requirements and the staff were more than accommodating. My mouth is salivating now thinking about the amazing meals, smoothies and juices served to us which were always extremely generous in sizing and super tasty. Yum!
I really can't say enough about this place and I highly, highly, highly recommend staying here and can't wait for the day we are able to make it back there.
Simplement magique repos assurĂ©
TrĂ©s beaux volumes
Gentillesse Et grande amabilitĂ© du personnel
Stunning views, beautiful villa
We stayed at Villa Patal for 5 nights in the first week of June 2012.
Things we loved -
1. The setting and view from the villa is completely unbeatable. The living room of the villa opens out to a lovely outdoor terrace with comfortable loungers, which in turn overlooks the infinity pool which overlooks a stunning vista of the countryside with Mt agung hovering always in the background. Sitting in the terrace, you can see the clouds chasing the sky and dancing over agung; the pools provides a perfect reflection of the sky and mountain. It's a place where you feel like you've stepped into a landscape portrait.
2. The villa is very tastefully decorated and very comfortable. It seriously looks even nicer than their website photos. The master bedroom has a large jacuzzi bathtub and opens out to the pool, wonderful to step out of the pool into the warm jacuzzi.
3. The weather in Sideman is perfect - crisp-cool between 20-25 degrees.
4. We went on a hike into the nearby hills - there's lovely bamboo forest and at the top there's a wonderful view where you can see all the way to Lombok on one side, and Mt. Agung and the countryside on the other.
5. The staff are professional and very attentive, yet not intrusive at all.
6. They have a nice theater system and a Playstation to keep the kids from going crazy.
What prevents a perfect score:
1. This place certainly is rather remote - definitely not for everyone. The road to Sideman is quite good until the last few km, when it becomes extremely bumpy. Traffic along these roads is relatively heavy with a lot of trucks. It's not the quiet countryside roads that used to be so pleasant to cycle along. There's hardly any shops or restaurants or other tourist facilities .
2. Although you're in the heart of the countryside, you will need to make an effort to see the local community - you are still staying in a bubble in your villa. The staff at the villa are mostly not actually from Sideman but from other parts of Bali, so they won't for instance be able to bring you to the village and show you around their house; in fact when they brought us for a hike in the hills we got a little lost.
Only the manager Tantio speaks English. But if you are interested enough, the people in the nearby villages are friendly; it's a very rural community where schoolchildren trek down the hills for an hour and wear flip-flops to school.
3. For food you are limited to what the cook at the Villa can cook - although she's not bad, the repertoire is necessarily somewhat limited. Perhaps that's because we're Singaporeans who are usually spoilt for choice; previous visitors from the West seem to find the food quite good :-).
4. A few minor housekeeping issues that are easily sorted - remember that this is more a (rather high-class!) homestay rather than a five-star hotel. Frequently when you ask for stuff it means that Tantio needs to hop onto his motorbike to go to the village to buy it.
5. Minor quibble - the second bedroom is a little small - fine for the kids though.
Cozy Balinese villa with a stunning view
We had a very nice stay at Villa Patal. We spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon there, and in many ways it was an ideal introduction to Bali. The owners Juri and Dayu were extremely helpful in arranging for pick up and initial orientation.
The villa looks better than the pics on its official site (yes!). The outdoor lounge area, the bedroom and the jacuzzi room all have breathtaking views of the Mt. Agung... it was surreal to wake up to the views of the towering volcano, no words to describe the feeling, it is simply awe-inspiring and to some extent, it was a spiritual experience... as the website description says, you never get tired of the view. But of course, during the day, the clouds completely hide the volcano, so you need to get up early to enjoy it.
The interior is done very tastefully, with what I call as 'Bali chic' decor. Muted colours and soft lighting add to the romantic ambience. The kitchen adjacent to the living room housed the staff and it only took us a moment to learn to ask them for meals or anything. We just relaxed for the first 2 days and went on a short day trip on the 3rd day. You can just stay in, soak in the view, never venture out and still feel as if you are experiencing the real Bali.
If I really want to crib, I guess I can say that wifi was quite patchy. More often than not it wasn't fast, I had to struggle to upload my pics on FB, but it is okay if you just want to check your email. My husband, being a large man, found the portions small and wished their menu was more extensive. But you have a couple of nice restaurants in short driving distance, if you need more variety.
The villa manager Tio is always on site and speaks good enough english. He also accompanied us during our Tirtagangga day trip as our guide. Apart from him, there is a cook and gardner, and one of the owners oversees the entire villa. Security is really not an issue, this is rural bali where everyone knows everyone... anyway there is a pom dog in the premises (secluded in the kitchen area... sometimes it ran around the entire property, enjoying the view like us, we thought!).
The service in general were very good... the villa is quite young (we were their 5th guests) so there were some gaps but nothing major, it didn't affect our villa experience in any way. The owner Juri is very open to feedback so we were able to share our thoughts on our stay. I'm sure as Villa Patal becomes more and more experienced, it will become a top notch B&B; in Bali :).
Response from Tantio Hadi - 12/25/2011
December 25, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments here on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate when people make the effort to give us feed back, we are new in this business and eager to make our property better.
Following our discussion when you were here we can inform you that we have increased our portions, now we think even big men will get enough... We are also slowly, but steadily, increasing our menu (2 more dishes since you left).
As for the internet connection we cannot do much. We are using the best provider as far as we know, but this is rural Bali so it is not possible at the moment to get faster or more stable internet.
Experience for yourself, you will not be disappointed.
Excellent service. Very nice servants, attentive but tactful.
Well-situated villa on high ground with magnificent panorama view toward BaliÂ´s highest mountain Gunung agung and the green valley between. You can also enjoy the fantastic panorama from the large and very specially designed swimmingpool in the garden.
The house itself is in top condition, well equipped with full comfort. Modern and beautifully designed interior and furniture.
You really get a lot for the money. The only thing I didnÂ´t like, was leaving this place.
A stunning location where you get to experience the real Bali
I stayed at Villa Patal for 5 nights in November 2008. Located 1,5 hours from the airport, Villa Patal offers an escape from the tourists and lets you experience the real Bali.
The house is sophisticated, comfortable and fully equipped with all the modernities you may need, without losing its genuine Balinese touch. The infinity pool is amazing, as is the terrace, offering a spectacular and ever-changing view of Gunung agung that you will most likely never get bored of.
I wouldn't hesitate one second to recommend Villa Patal!