Pocomoonshine Camp- Rustic Jewel on the Lake
|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
|Living space||1500 square feet|
Suitable for childrenYes
Suitable for the elderlyAsk
|Theme||Adventure, Romantic, Wilderness, Away from it all, Lake, Mountain|
Description from the owner
Pocomoonshine Camp â€“ Rustic Jewel on the Lake
Nestled in a private community, hidden in the forest with views of the Mountains and the Lake, Pocomoonshine , once discovered becomes a cherished sanctuary, many times for many generations.
Hark back to a former time, a simpler time, far away yet close to everything.
Our year round camp entices everyone with itâ€™s rustic charm, multilingual library, large country kitchen, screened porch and garden with Adirondack chairs. Carefully restored and refurbished, keeping the antiquarian charm yet
offering modern comforts. There is a wood stove to take the chill out of the coo...Read more
Pocomoonshine Camp- Rustic Jewel on the Lake
Keeseville, New York
(Property location is approximate)
Additional Location Information
Augur Lake is sequestered betwixt two miracles of nature,
Poke-O-Moonshine Mountain, with 1100 Millions old walls, resembling a Gothic cathedral and Ausable Chasm, with its intense energy from the whitewater coursing rapidly through the deep gorge.
We are in the heart of the Bread Basket of Adirondacks, where valley farms offer organic eggs, dairy and produce bio-dynamically grown. There are apple orchards too!
High Peaks form the backdrop for these vistas, inviting hikes and explorations of Swimming Holes, Many Falls, High Falls Gorge, Natural Springs, Caves, Lakes and Rivers.
On Lake Champlain, only a few miles away, there is a private beach and boat launch for our community, as well as a ferry to Burlington, Vermont.
Thirty minutes to Whiteface Mountain.
Forty minutes to the Olympic Village of Lake Placid.
Ninety Minutes to Montreal, the second largest French City (after Paris) in the World-with all its sophistication, arts and culinary delights.
Ninety minutes to World Famous Saratoga Springs Thoroughbred
Racing and Performing Arts Center.
Location Type Away from it all, Lake, Mountain
Rates shown in $ USD (change)
|Rate Summary||$185 - $250||$200 - $250||$1,100 - $1,600||$0||2 nights|
|Feb. 8 2013 - Feb. 24 2013
|Feb. 26 2013 - Apr. 30 2013
Spring is in the Air
|May. 1 2013 - May. 22 2013
|May. 23 2013 - Sep. 5 2013
|Sep. 6 2013 - Oct. 31 2013
|Can't find rates for your travel dates? Contact the owner|
|Nov. 1 2013 - Nov. 21 2013
Leaves Have Fallen
|Nov. 22 2013 - Dec. 1 2013
|Dec. 2 2013 - Dec. 19 2013
|Dec. 20 2013 - Jan. 6 2014
Holly Holly Days
|Jan. 7 2014 - Feb. 6 2014
|Jan. 7 2014 - Feb. 6 2014
|Feb. 7 2014 - Mar. 3 2014
|All Other Dates||$200||$200||$1,300||-||2 nights|
|View all 13 Rate Periods|
- Tax - 11% of rental - Tax - Added to less than a Week Long Stays
- Cleaning and Linen Fee - $0 / stay - Fee - Added to less than a Week Long Stays
- Pet Fee - $75 / stay - Fee - Per Pet, Per Stay
- Damage Security Deposit - $250 / stay - Security Deposit - Fully Refundable
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: April 02, 2013 ◀▶
What Past Guests Are Saying
A Wonderful Retreat
My wife and I stayed here over the Christmas break.
We wanted a quiet getaway and a chance to unwind. We were not disappointed.
The cottage itself was warm and welcoming, but the Christmas tree, decorations, and fresh poinsettias that greeted us really set the tone.
The surroundings were rustic, charming, and very clean.
All of the amenities we needed were present and in good supply.
Being winter, we didn't get a chance to appreciate the beautiful lake, but we took some pleasant walks through the snow-covered woods.
Of course, we took advantage of the hot tub!
The property wasn't quite as secluded as we'd envisioned, and the lake access looked like it is across the road between two other properties, but once we settled in, it didn't bother us a bit.
Slow days spent reading books and watching movies...
Evenings cooking dinner and stoking the fire...
It was a perfect way to spend the holidays!
Albany, New York
Relaxing Week on Quiet Lake
The house was clean, and as advertised. Living room is a great space, and the kitchen is easy to work in. Kids loved the hammocks. It is across the dirt street from the lake - can easily see lake from the front porch. Private dock is between two other houses that sit on the lake. Bedrooms and bathroom are small but functional.
A few notes.
1) Yes, you can hear the Northway when on the lake, but we didn't find it to be bothersome. It bothered me more when boating over by the summer camps, which are a good distance from the cottage.
2) There are some weeds in the lake (a worry in most adirondack lakes) but it wasn't a big problem.. There is a great place to swim off an island directly in front of the cottage, about 300 yards off shore. My wife and kids swam to and from the island every day while I rowed the boat for safety. Bring your fishing stuff to the island - My kids caught bluegill and perch there. Renata has some poles there - bring some worms and some extra hooks/tackle.
3) The lake was surprisingly quiet despite it being high season. There was some water sking, but not very much - there is no public access to the lake, and most people had small boats or canoes/kayaks. The lake itself does not have that many cottages on it - despite the Northway, we felt very much like we were in the mountains. There are 2 very nice bikes, a rowboat and a big canoe (fiberclass, heavy and sturdy).
4) Just a note to tall people - One of the bedrooms and walkthrough areas has a 6 foot ceiling.
5) Plattsburgh and Burlington were surprisingly easy to get to. We highly recommend the Himalaya restaurant in Plattsburgh. Its a Tibetan/Bhutanese place run by a couple who used to have high powered jobs in NYC. Great people and delicious food. Try the Moma's (steamed dumplings).
6) Poke-o-Moonshine is a great hike (the views are awesome) , but very steep (1200 ft over 1.2 miles). You can go up a more gradual path - its starting place is a mile past the campground on route 9.
Excellent Customer Service
My wife and I found this little place to be very quiet and comfortable. We unfortuntely went at a time of year that had no snow. But we still enjoyed the lovely fireplace and hottub.
Thanks to Renata, we will not forget the professional way in which she treated us.
Beautiful, cozy place that is close to many fun attractions!
The house was beautiful! We felt right at home the moment we walked in the door! Very cozy and warm feeling! The home decor was gorgeous and we loved the wood stove! Kept the whole house warm on the cold nights! We had everything we needed from clean towels to pots and pans! Everything was provided and we were even able to do laundry! The hot tub was amazing! We used it every night (even in the rain!!) It is close to so many different things! We found a Walmart about 15 minutes away, im Plattsburgh, which also has a lot of great attractions if you're into history! Also close to ausable Chasm, Poke-O-Moonshine Mountain and so much more! We had a wonderful time and recommend it to everyone! We will be going back!!
A fantastic rustic cabin in a beautiful part of the adirondacs
A beautiful lake, amazing mountains all around, and a great well-stocked cabin. A very pleasant and happy stay, I thoroughly recommend it!
Family of 4
stony brook, ny
We have rented many times throughout the adirondaks on various lakes. I can honestly say that this home was absolutely lovely. Immaculate, well equipped, charming,attention to detail, comfortable and cozy. Our only comment to future travelers would be that the house is not directly on the lake and the nearest town of Keesville is extremely small with few amenities. Also, we cooked in most meals because there are really no good restaurants nearby. On the other hand, you can drive and or take the ferry to alot of other locations for shopping, dining, etc. Also, if you are interested in hiking the high peaks, which we were, this property is well located.
Cozy and Eclectic Getaway
My boyfriend and I needed a getaway and stumbled upon Pocomoonshine Camp. Like most, our day to day life is hectic and we wanted out! After a beautiful drive through the adirondacks we arrived at this cozy camp tucked away in the woods, adjacent to auger Lake. We spent 4 days without our phones, without TV (although available we never turned it on), and simply relaxed. Enjoying each other and our surroundings. The camp was full of charm. Camp-like and at the same time mixed with an eclectic decor. The kitchen had everything we needed, the wood stove kept us warm and the hot tub soothed aches and pains. It was hard to leave but discussing an annual tradition of returning to the camp made it bearable.