The Lily Pad, as its name suggests, is a hidden gem in the backwaters of Kerala, India. There is water everywhere – swimming pool, canal and lake – you can take your pick!
Surrounded by a one-acre plot which has swaying coconut palms and mango trees and located on the banks of Lake Vembanad, this luxurious villa is the perfect place for a relaxed get-away-from-it-all holiday with family and friends.
The Villa has been lovingly designed by renowned architect Gautam Bhatia, an authority on the work of Laurie Baker (who pioneered wire-cut brick finish architecture in Kerala). It is a beautiful blend of antique and... modern, indoors and outdoors. Old wooden doors, windows and pillars from old Kerala homes have been juxtaposed on its clean-cut lines and nature is absolutely everywhere.
THE HOUSE AND THE AMENITIES
• 5 Bedrooms with attached bathrooms (2 guests per room, Rs 800/- for an extra mattress)
• Beautiful, outdoor swimming pool
• Open-air showers (Kerala style!)
• Fully equipped kitchen with 5-ring hob, oven, microwave, fridge-freezer (Pots and pans and crockery, cutlery also available for self-catering)
• An organic vegetable garden to the rear of the kitchen provides fresh vegetables
• Curry Meen (a popular local fish variety) abound in the canal on the property, and can be fished!
• Colonial-style furniture
• Solar power-run lights and fans
• Solar-run water heaters in kitchen and bathroom
• Auto-switch on generator for full back-up (in case the electricity goes out)
• Cook and driver available for hire
• Yoga and massage can be arranged
Guests will have access to the full villa during their stay, including a beautiful swimming pool and a quiet reading room at the top of a tower overlooking the lake.
We have two full-time staff on site for cleaning and maintenance. They live in separate servant quarters.
Our villa is located in the very heart of the Kumarakom tourist belt (near Taj Vivanta and Kumarakom Lake Resort hotels).
You can visit the nearby bird sanctuaries and wildlife resorts to see a part of India that Indians lovingly refer to as “God’s own Country”. Have the complete backwater experience and take a boat cruise on the lake. If that isn’t all the relaxation you need, try some yoga or an ayurvedic massage with special herbal oils.
Nearby and along the lakeshore there are many renowned 5-star hotels serving food and drink and the seafood specially has to be tried.
You can also visit the charming town of Kottayam and shop for silks, spices and sarees, explore Arundhati Roy's home town of Alleppey, or do a day-trip to Thekkady to see the spice plantations.
GETTING TO / FROM / AROUND
Car and driver pick up available from nearest airport Kochi (COK) for Rs 2100/-. A 2 hour 15 minute comfortable drive. There is no public transportation but you can easily hire a car and driver to take you around to tour local attractions, and rates are charged according to mileage and number of hours.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
You can hire a cook for Rs. 850/- per day. You just give him money to go shopping, and he will prepare delicious Kerala specialties (appams and stew, idilis, Curry Meen) in the kitchen for lunch and dinner.Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.