- 1 bedrooms
- 1 bathrooms
- Sleeps 4
Description from the owner
New in 2012, comfortable, newly renovated 1 bedroomed apartment, Sleeps 2/4.
Large private decked terrace.
Free Wifi and English TV and Ipod player.
Ideally situated for exploring the Pyrenees and the Mediterranean.
5 mins walk to restaurant/bar, boulangerie etc.
Baby friendly - we can supply all you need for baby, cot, high chair, baby buggy, steriliser, just ask.
New fully equipped modern kitchen. Large fridge freezer, ceramic hob, oven, microwave, kettle, toaster and coffee maker. Ample crockery, cutlery and glass ware for up to 8 people.
There will usually be a supply of tea, coffee, sugar, h...Read more
Le Canigou, lovely apartment, large terrace, BBQ
Additional Location Information
Pyrenees Orientales is perfectly positioned between the Mediterranean to the east where the beautiful sandy beaches provide long days by the sea, and the Pyrenees to the west, which offer a wealth of walking and cycling opportunities, not to mention skiing in the winter!
This region is a delight; Ria is located in the Conflent valley that provides lush green scenery, with Mount Canigou dominating the skyline and the Pyrenees visible in the distance. You can be swimming in the sea in the morning, and hiking in the mountains in the afternoon. It really does offer you everything!
There is a lake in the local town of Vinca, with beaches, from which you can swim, sail or wind-surf, or you could just visit the popular open air swimming pools in Prades and Vernet les Bains.
The Pyrenees Orientales has much to offer art lovers; the world famous Pablo Casals music festival is held in and around Prades (only 5 minutes drive away) during the summer and is attended by world famous musicians. Perpignan hosts “Jazzebre” an international jazz festival in October. This area has also been the home to many famous artists including Picasso, Matisse, Chagall and surrealist artist Salvador Dali who declared Perpignan railway station “the centre of the universe”. You can see examples of their work on show in Ceret, Perpignan and the picturesque seaside resort of Collioure.
Ria Sirach is a charming Catalan village perched on a steep hillside and situated in the foothills of the Pyrenees. It is easily recognisable by the Catalan flag which flies at the site of the ancient abbey atop the village. It is an ideal centre for holidaymakers all year round as the village enjoys a wonderful climate, with an average of 300 days of sunshine each year. It is set in the sheltered Conflent valley in the foothills of Mount Canigou, which rises to a height of 2,785 meters. Rudyard Kipling praised Canigou as “a magician among mountains”. The river Têt has cut a ravine at the foot of the village which is situated at an altitude of 400m.
If you want to chill out and forget about the car, you can join the locals in the restaurant/bar or collect your baguettes/croissants from the boulangerie and if you don't want the stress of supermarket shopping, you can stock up at the village épicerie. There is a boules court and a childrens play area 5 minutes walk from the apartment.
Ria Sirach is situated within 5 minutes of the local market town of Prades where you will find everything from supermarkets to a large, busy traditional square with bars and restaurants. Prades hosts a bustling market on Tuesday mornings and a smaller farmers market every Saturday morning. There is also a helpful Tourist information office.
For music lovers, Prades boasts the internationally famous Pablo Casals music festivals with concerts staged in various venues including the impressive Baroque church at the center of the town (which itself boasts the largest baroque altar in France).
The walks in the area are many, varied and well marked, stroll around the village or take a hike following some of the most beautiful trails in France. Visit the Tourist information for free leaflets on local walks.
For touring the area Ria-Sirach is ideally situated and offers an excellent base. Just a few sites of interest within easy driving distance are listed below:
* Villefranche de Conflent, a fine example of a medieval walled town overlooked by Fort Liberia (5 minutes drive from Ria).
* Little Yellow Train, catch this train from Villefranche and enjoy the spectacular mountain views right into the Pyrenees towards the Spanish border.
* St Thomas les Bains, outstanding natural thermal hot springs in wonderful outdoor mountain setting.
* Animal Park, Casteil, lovely day out for the children, lots of animals to see and feed, in a beautiful mountain park, the walk around the park is 2-3 km.
* Grottes de Canalettes, magnificent renowned caves with an incredible light and sound show.
* St Martin du Canigou, 9th century abbey perched impressively high on the hillside with fantastic scenery and walks.
* St Michel de Cuxa, 6th century abbey that hosts concerts during the Pablo Casals festival but is also open for viewing most of the year. Both this abbey and St Martin are considered to be the finest architecture of their period in France.4
* Ski Station of St Pierre dels Forcats (30 minutes drive)
* Vinça Lake and beach area, ideal day out for swimming, sunbathing and kids play area.
* Marquixanes - Aerial rope park, climb up in the trees and experience cargo nets and zip wire over the rive Têt. (safety equipment and training supplied for children and adults).
* Annual festivals, Music festival in Prades, the Giants in Villefranche, the Canigou Race, La Belle Epoche, Food festivals; Cherry, Chocolate, Oyster and many more....
If you fancy a longer trip for your days out we can recommend, the Medieval walled town of Carcassonne, Barcelona, Figueres (Dali Museum), Collioure, Ceret (Modern art Museum), Cathar Castles, Wine Trail. The options are endless, if you want more ideas please ask.
More About This Location
Mountain nearby, River, Village
Last updated on April 02, 2013
Not available for your dates? Check availability for 1,207 other Languedoc-Roussillon rentalsCheck Availability for Languedoc-Roussillon
Rates shown in $ USD (Rental listed originally in GBP)
|Don't see rates for your trip?|
- Damage deposit | $162
- Washing Machine
- 24 Hour On Call Maintenance
- Linens Provided
- Soap/Shampoo Provided
- Local Guides/Maps
- Towels Provided
Phone / Internet
- Wireless Internet
- Mountain Views
- Electric Stove
- Children's Toys
- Stereo or CD player
- Board Games
- Satellite or cable TV
- Pet friendly - ask
- Smoking allowed - no
- Suitable for children - yes
- Suitable for the elderly - yes
- Wheelchair accessible - no
- 45 square meters