Situated in a rural setting close to the less frequented Vale of Lorton with delightful private Sun terrace overlooking the beck. Beckside is a spacious Eco Friendly property sleeping six.
Southwaite Green is in an area of peace and tranquillity in the Lorton Vale, almost mid-way between Cockermouth and Lorton both 3 miles away, Keswick is 9 miles to the east. Within a short drive are the less frequented western lakes Crummock Water, Loweswater, Buttermere and Ennerdale, winner of Britains Best View. There is ample walking and cycling opportunities from the door and a wealth of shops and restaurants can be found in both Cockermouth and... Keswick.
The properties sit on Paddle Beck giving a peaceful ambience together with 10 acres of grounds including newly planted woodland, wildlife meadow, pond and arboretum. Consequently there is an abundance of wildlife including deer, foxes, red squirrels, badgers and the occasional heron that visits the beck, not forgetting the resident barn owl.
Southwaite Green is a development of four properties that have been constructed in 2007 by the owner, who lives on site, to an extremely high standard. The cottages have an abundance of local timber used by local craftsmen to retain the traditional character and wherever possible used the original timbers from the barn. They have been painstakingly converted using “green design and technologies” with ground and air source heat pumps to power the under floor heating beneath the slate and oak floors. A design feature has been the use of solar panels and the positioning of the windows to generate maximum solar heating to produce the heating and hot water. Great attention to detail has been paid to ensure that these are Eco-friendly properties, including organic bedding and towels, hand made furniture from sustainable sources and they have even gone to the extent of using Eco-friendly paints. The owners have gone to great trouble to ensure the properties have a low ‘carbon foot-print’ and to ensure your holiday is an enjoyable experience.
The development briefly comprises two, 2 bedroom cottages, Skiddaw and Esther’s Barn. Buttermere is a ground floor two bedroom cottage which is specially adapted for disabled use with mobility one and two rating and Beckside a three bedroom, three bathroom house. The properties have been given the much acclaimed Gold Award from the Green Tourism Scheme.
The cottage has under floor heating throughout and comprises:
* Open plan living area with feature fireplace and wood burning stove, colour TV and DVD player.
* Kitchen with electric cooker, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and microwave.
* Drying cupboard.
* Sun lounge.
* Twin bedroom with zip linked beds which can convert to a double bed (please advise at the time of booking if double bed required).
* Bathroom with separate shower cubicle, hand basin and WC.
* Terrace with furniture overlooking the beck.
* Double bedroom both with en-suite shower room, hand basin and WC.
* Double bedroom with en-suite shower room.,hand basin and WC and dressing room
* All electric with ‘A’ rated energy efficient appliances, bed linen and towels included.
* Cot and high chair available.
* Private parking for 1 car with further parking available over the stream.
* A warm welcome awaits you from the owner including a welcome pack with fair trade and local produce together with a wide range of local books, maps, guides and places to visit.
* Shared use of the laundry with washing machine and tumble dryer and badminton / short tennis grass court.
Additional amenities include: october half term availability, keswick and district, no. bathrooms: 3, parking facilities: private parking, price k from £520 pw, changeover saturday, pets yes, visit britain 5* gold, may half term availability, christmas and new year availability, bathrooms 3: 1, easter availability, february half term availability, sleeps 6, valentine availability, open fire yes, bedrooms 3: 1, keswick convention availability, western lake district and coast, summer school holidays, garden or outdoor area, pets yes: 1 dog, star grading: 5*, pets yes: 2 dogs, 5* cottages, no. bedrooms: 3, pets yes: 3 dogs.Read more
BECKSIDE, Southwaite Green, Nr Lorton, Cockermouth, Western Lakes Lockerbie, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland
Additional Location Information
Last updated on July 12, 2014
Not available for your dates? Check availability for 9 other Lockerbie rentals
All prices include all taxes, gas, electric and bed linen. Please check property description to see if towels, logs, coal and cots are included free of charge or at a supplement. If a pet friendly property, the charge is £20 per pet per week/part week. Please telephone or email us for short break availability and prices.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.