Pet friendlyNo Smoking allowedNo Suitable for childrenAsk Suitable for the elderlyAsk Wheelchair accessibleAsk
Description from the manager
The towns of Oudtshoorn and De Rust are in the Klein Karoo between the Swartberg and Outeniqua mountains. Oudtshoorn is the ostrich capital of the world. Ostriches are found in great numbers and the region produces the best feathers, leather products and ostrich meat in the world. But the world's biggest bird is just one of the many attractions in this area of exceptional contrasts and natural beauty. It is also home to the spectacular Cango Caves, Africa's largest show cave system. In the vicinity of an ecological hotspot where three distinct plant biomes (succulent karoo, cape thicket and fynbos) converge. Nestled next to the Swartberg moun...tain range, which is part of the Cape Floral World Heritage Site.
Cango Caves: One of the world's great natural wonders with its massive caverns and naturally coloured limestone formations.
Ostrich Farms: The Ostrich is the largest living species of bird and lays the largest egg of any living bird. Take a guided tour or ride an Ostrich on one of the many Ostrich Farms in this area.
Wildlife Adventures: Touch a Cheetah, dive with crocodiles, view wild Meerkats, go on Safari and meet the Big Five.
Adventure Activities: Ride a quad bike. Learn how to abseil. Go caving. Go ballooning. Meet the Meerkats. Take a hike. Go Mountain biking. Go for a scenic drive.
Natural Beauty: Oudtshoorn is part of an ecological hotspot with some of South Africa's most beautiful natural diversity. Oudtshoorn is a town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. With 80,336 inhabitants, it is the largest town in the Little Karoo region. The town is home to the world's largest ostrich population, with a number of specialized ostrich breeding farms, such as the Safari Show Farm and the Highgate Ostrich Show Farm.
First Ostrich Boom: The main reason for the large rise in prosperity was the ostrich, whose feathers had become extremely popular as fashion accessories in Europe; they were especially popular for use on hats. Between 1875 and 1880, ostrich prices reached up to GBP 1,000 a pair. The farmers of the region, realising that ostriches were far more profitable than any other activity, ripped out their other crops and planted lucerne, which was used as feed for the ostriches. The rising wealth also finally allowed for the completion of the Dutch Reformed Church - it was opened on 7 June 1879. Owing to overproduction, the ostrich industry experienced a sudden slump in fortunes in 1885; the town's misery was compounded when it was hit by severe flooding during the same year, which washed away the nearby Victoria Bridge, which had been built over the Olifants River only the year before. Second Ostrich Boom: The ostrich industry recovered slowly and it was not until after the Second Anglo-Boer War of 1899 to 1902, that a second and bigger boom started. It was during this period that most of Oudtshoorn's famously opulent "Feather Palaces" were built. This boom peaked in 1913, before collapsing in 1914. This was blamed on Henry Ford and the arrival of the motor car. Ladies wearing large hats with ostrich plumes found that such hats were not suitable and were blown off at car speeds (related by a local ostrich farmer). As a result, the region's economy was ruined, and most farmers returned to more traditional crops.
A little bit of History: The area in which Oudtshoorn is situated was originally inhabited by Bushmen, as evidenced by the many rock paintings that are found in caves throughout the surrounding Swartberg mountains. The first European explorers to the area was a trading party led by a certain Ensign Shrijver, who were guided there by a Griqua via an ancient elephant trail in January 1689. The expedition reached as far as present-day Aberdeen before turning back and exiting the Klein Karoo valley through Attaquas Kloof on 16 March of the same year. However, it was only a hundred years later that the first farmers started settling in the region.The first large permanent structure of the Klein Karoo, a church of the Dutch Reformed denomination, was first erected in 1839, near the banks of the Grobbelaars River. The village (and later town) of Oudtshoorn gradually grew around this church; it was named after Baron Pieter van Rheede van Oudtshoorn, who was appointed Governor of the Cape Colony in 1772, but died on the voyage out. A small one-room school was opened in 1858, followed by the formation of a municipality and the founding of an Agricultural Society in 1859. During the same year, work was also started on a larger church to replace the original small one. Unfortunately, 1859 also signalled the start of a long and serious drought which severely depressed the national economy - by 1865, there was serious poverty. When the drought was finally broken by floods in 1869, the depression lifted and Oudtshoorn was transformed from a struggling village to a town of great prosperity. At one time, there was a large Jewish immigrant population mostly from Lithuania and the town was known in the Jewish world as "Jerusalem of Africa".
This 1 bedroom self catering flat is situated close to amenities, sleeps two people. In the bedroom is one double bed. Linen is included. The bathroom has a shower and towels are included. The kitchen is fully equipped with a Fridge/Freezer, microwave, oven, and crockery and cutlery. It has a Braai facility. There is one secure undercover parking.
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 200,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.