PORTOVENERE CASTLE VILLA
PORTOVENERE CASTLE VILLA
- 1 bedrooms
- 1 bathrooms
- sleeps 6
Description from the owner
PORTOVENERE CASTLE VILLA with large garden and memorable sea view.
UNDER COMPLETE REFURBISHMENT. READY FROM 25.03.2013.
A beautiful and romantic setting, this unique villa is at the foot of a charming medieval castle and protected by its walls.The property has plenty of character and refined furniture.
We will continuously update the images to show the refurbished interiors and new furniture.
Sleeps six : 1 x double bed (bedroom) 1 double bed (in a corner of the living area with sight totally protected by walls and furniture) 2 x single beds (in the living area). Bathroom with shower.
Open plan living area and k...Read more
PORTOVENERE CASTLE VILLA
Portovenere, Liguria, Italy
Additional Location Information
"Portus Veneris" has its first recognition in the Itinerary of Antoninus
161 AD as a naval station for the Roman triremes for the routes of Gaul and Spain.
The pre-Roman "Castrum Vetus", rising in Piazza Spallanzani, was given by Grimaldo Vezzano in 1113 to the Genoese consuls who built the "Castrum Novum" calling it "Colony Januensis”.
The new Genoese borough was surrounded by walls in 1160 and in 1161 the Castello Superiore was built, on a pre-genoese foundation, it was restored in 1458 (of this period are the higher part, the “Pillared Hall", andthe home of the Castellano).
Early Christian remains of the fourth and fifth centuries reflect a fervent monastic life in the monasteries of San Pietro (St. Peter), San Giovanni Battista (St. John the
Baptist) on the island of Palmaria, and in the Benedictine monastery of the Tino, which after the pillage of Venice, went to the Olivetans also present in the Convent of Le Grazie.
On the tip of the village dominates the Church of San Pietro, in Gothic-Genoese style of 1277, built on the foundations of a Romantemple. The church of San Lorenzo, built in 1116 by the Antelami Masters was consecrated by Innocent II in 1130.
Under the Castle,at the top of the town, there are the remains of ancient houses of the Colony of Genoa, on the open bay of the cove “Grotta Arpaia”, dominated by a characteristic cliff, behind the island Palmaria there are other caves of extraordinary beauty: the Grotta Azzurra (Blue Cave) , studied in detail by biologist
Lazzaro Spallanzani, the Grotta Vulcanica (Volcanic Cave), the Grotta delle Verginelle (Cave of the Virgins) and the Grotta deiColombi (Cave of the Doves).
The turreted old village with its typical fortress houses, with its "carugi", its monuments and its natural beauty has always been dear to artists and poets from
Petrarch to Montale, from George Sand to Guglielmo Marconi, which in the sea of Porto Venere, in 1897, made his historicalexperiments.
Before arriving to Porto Venere there is the seaside village of Grazie, where stands the Roman Villa of the Varignano, interesting archaeological site dating back to the first century B.C., and the Refectory of the Convent of the Olivetans containing
frescoes of the fifteenth century by Nicolò Corso. In Porto Venere, the Borgo Antico (Ancient Borough) leads, to the right, to the defensive walls that lead to the Castle, and to the left, to the Capitolare Tower (1161 AD), where the interesting
rusticated facade and elegant windows can be viewed.
In the carugio (narrow street), Via Capellini, there are theancient houses, which retain the facade decorated with arches and doorways of slate.
Having reached the end of the carugio there is the Piazza Spallanzani on which stands the Church of San Pietro, in alternating bands of black and white, built in Gothic style in the second half of the thirteenth century.
Before reaching the Church, on the right, there are the steps that lead to the Grotto Arpaia (or Byron) from which there is a wonderful view of the rugged coast.
Going back tothe paved road uphill, there is the Church of San Lorenzo, consecrated in 1130 and in subsequent periods.
From thechurchyard, through a staircase, the Castle can be reached.
It was built in the sixteenth century with military purposes by the Genoese on pre-existing Roman, Byzantine, and medieval fortifications. Going back to the flight of steps and the "Capitoli", there is the Descent Doria, which overlooks the tower-houses built during the Middle Ages with defensive purpose and that until the last century stood on the sea.
boats trip :
from/to: Porto Venere / La Spezia, Lerici, Cinque Terre, Isola Palmaria, Portofino
from/to: Porto Venere / Isola Palmaria / Cinque Terre
Location Type Beach
AvailableUnavailable Last updated: April 13, 2013 ◀▶
Rates shown in $ USD (Rental listed originally in EUR) (change)
|Dates||Nightly||Weekly||Monthly||Min Night Stay|
|Don't see rates for your trip?|
- Damage deposit | $389
- Cleaning fee | $111 per stay
- Paper Towels Provided
- Linens Provided
- Housekeeping Optional
- Towels Provided
- Air Conditioning
- Water Views
- Dish Washer
- Washing Machine
- Satellite TV
- High Definition TV
- Outdoor Dining Area
- Pet friendly - Ask
- Smoking allowed - Yes
- Suitable for children - Ask
- Suitable for the elderly - Yes
- Wheelchair accessible - No
- 100 square meters