Additional Location Information
One of the most beautiful areas of Cyprus, Protaras has been awarded as the 3rd best European Beach Resort for 2011.
Family-friendly and tranquil, Protaras is situated along the sandy coastline of Cyprus's Fig Tree Bay. The glorious beaches are the main attraction, but Protaras has a smaller and more intimate feel than nearby Ayia Napa.
Holidays in Protaras attract couples and families looking to enjoy the fabulous beaches of eastern Cyprus while remaining apart from the younger louder atmosphere at Ayia Napa, 9 miles to the south. Holidays in Protaras have proved consistently popular especially with families looking for classic Cyprus beach holidays with plenty of facilities and entertainment and some of the best sandy beaches and intimate coves in Cyprus.
Protaras features several excellent beaches with safe gently shelving fine white sand and calm clear water ideal for families with small children. The main Protaras beaches are:
• Louma Beach (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
• Pernera Beach (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
• Potami Beach (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
• Vrysis Beach (3 sections have been awarded with a blue flag)
• Fig tree bay (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
• Loumbardi Beach (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
• Konnos Beach (it has been awarded with a blue flag)
For a quieter Protaras beach try the small coves on the rugged coastline to the north, or explore the isolated small coves on the un-spoilt coastline towards the headland at Cape Greko. Both areas offer good snorkeling and diving.
Protaras provides visitors with an exceptional range of water sports, including paragliding, windsurfing, diving, snorkeling, jet-skis and waterskiing. Children on holiday in Protaras will enjoy the local water park and the much larger Water World at Ayia Napa. Within Protaras itself, you can find Mini Golf courses, Tennis courts (within the Hotels but open to the public too), Water Aquariums and a Sea Museum. Should one wish to escape Protaras other forms of leisure such as Day Trip boats, Day Trip Safaris are available. Further interests are also available like Horse Ridding for example or even fishing.
- Family beach resort with plenty of entertainment. There is an ample choice of restaurants and taverns, and plenty of shops, with a more genuinely Cypriot selection at nearby Paralimni. Although Protaras holidays are more family orientated than Ayia Napa they are certainly not lacking in lively nightlife. with no shortage of bars, pubs, discos and clubs. You'll have your pick of Cypriot specialties at one of the many open-air taverns or seafood restaurants in town.
For the young we have Ayia Napa, one of the most popular tourist spots in Cyprus. Ayia Napa is famous for its sandy beaches with turquoise clear waters and golden sands. All have a golden flag. In recent years, apart from being a family holiday destination, it has become a 'party capital' similar to Ibiza, Rimini and Mykonos. Ayia Napa though has now become one of Europe's most popular clubbing and holiday destinations, with thousands of clubbers coming from all over the world and for the last 2 years also hosting a Worlds Top 100 Club as voted by the clubbers themselves. Trance and House stand as the main styles with RnB, Hip-hop, Funk and Electro along with some great music from other European cities in themed clubs.
There are plenty of clubs catering for all genres and ages and these also vary from your 70’s 80’s party discos as well as an open air Reggae club.
Taxis are everywhere you go, in both Protaras and Ayia Napa and easily connecting the two. Just off the squares, on the main road, outside the clubs, day and night.