A cosy cottage full of character situated in a friendly village location sleeping six, it is ideal for families or groups looking for a base from which to explore the fantastic scenery, views and visitor attractions which the Lake District has to offer.
This three storey stone cottage provides cosy accommodation suitable for family groups. The cottage is located in a row of pretty stone cottages in the centre of the village opposite Sedgwick House, the former home of the Wakefield family who owned the local gunpowder works.
The grounds of Sedgwick House now contain a cricket pitch and club house with bar, where they hold local cri...cket matches at which spectators are always very welcome.
In the mid 1800's the cottage provided a home to Isaac Tyson his wife and 12 children, as seen by the framed family tree in the cottage. Isaac was a “carter” in the village hence the name. The current owner had been looking for a holiday cottage for several years and fell in love with Carters Cottage, “We can understand why”.
Sedgwick is a very pretty village with a mixture of period cottages and more modern properties and has a good community spirit. It is located four miles south of Kendal and 10 minutes drive from the M6 with good access to explore the many aspects and attractions the “South Lakes” can offer.
The cottage is situated right next to the village hall and millennium playing field, which includes various items of play equipment and is ideal for children's ball games.
The cottage is very well equipped with great attention to detail. It is centrally heated and comprises.
* Lounge with AGA wood burning stove, digital TV/radio, full SKY package with movies and sports including ESPN, DVD player, pay phone, Wi-Fi internet broadband, sofa bed sleeping an additional 2 people, beamed ceiling and various books games and DVD's.
* Galley style kitchen with Rangemaster electric oven and gas hob, washer/dryer, microwave, dishwasher, American style fridge/freezer and under stairs pantry.
* Dining/breakfast room with wine cooler, coffee maker and French windows leading to rear courtyard.
* First floor: Master bedroom with double bed and wall mounted digital TV/radio with integral DVD I-pod/phone docking station.
* Double bedroom with hand basin and wall mounted digital TV/radio with integral DVD I-pod/phone docking station.
* Family bathroom with bath, shower cubicle, hand basin and WC.
* Second floor: Children's twin bedroom converted from the former attic with sloping ceiling with wall mounted digital TV/radio with integral DVD I-pod/phone docking station.
* En-suite with electric sports shower, hand basin and WC.
* All gas, electric and bed linen provided.
* Towels are not provided, however you are welcome to hire them from our Windermere office.
* ( Please note a deposit is required when the towels are collected from our office this will be refunded to you when you return them to the office )
* Cot and highchair available.
* On street parking.
* The cottage has a pleasant patio garden to the front with table, chairs and chimonea.
* To the rear of the cottage is a courtyard including a patio area with table, chairs and BBQ adjacent to the pretty Victorian wash house, which now provides useful storage for bikes.Read more
CARTERS COTTAGE, Sedgwick, Nr Kendal Sedgwick, Cumbria, England
Additional Location Information
AvailableUnavailableLast updated: March 12, 2014◀▶
Rates shown in
(Rental listed originally in GBP)(change)
All prices include all taxes, gas, electric and bed linen. Please check property description to see if towels, logs, coal and cots are included free of charge or at a supplement. If a pet friendly property, the charge is £20 per pet per week/part week. Please telephone or email us for short break availability and prices.
Left on 08/24/2013 for a stay in August 2013 | Garthy
Nice location and the cottage has plenty of character. Sky box, wifi, tv's in the bedrooms made it great for relaxing when we weren't out and about. Wasn't ready at 3pm when we arrived and while we only had a 20min wait, after a 6 hour drive this was unwelcome. Cottage could have been cleaner as well.
Village is quite and friendly and liked the cricket that was 5 mins away.
Liked best - character. Liked least - no private garden.
Left on 07/11/2013 for a stay in July 2013 | Cinderella
Nice quiet village location, no shop or pub though! Cottage was beautifully clean and well appointed. For a larger group, the kitchen may be a bit small but the three double bedrooms and 2 bath/shower rooms were great.
Left on 05/16/2013 for a stay in May 2013 | Jan_Calcutt
A wonderful stay at Carters Cottage. The wood burning stove was a lovely touch, as was the coffee machine. A spacious and much loved cottage in relaxing surroundings and very close to the best farm shop I've ever visited. Dog friendly with lots of walks on the doorstep - check out the fancy goats in the local deer park. We'll definitely be back.
Left on 11/04/2012 for a stay in October 2012 | stefanie dawn
carters cottage is beautiful from the outside and amazingly spacious and effortlessly elegant and comfortable inside. The village it is set in is small, friendly and beautiful piece of rural heaven. Within seconds, youve walked yourself into some of the most beautiful countryside, within a few minutes drive you are in kendal, and in a few moments longer, you come to lake windermere, the waterfalls of ambleside and many other attractions that are brilliant for both adult-only holiday or an amazing adventure holiday with friends or family. Truely something for everyone.
Left on 08/02/2012 for a stay in July 2012 | JANICE CAMPBELL
We had brilliant service from start to finish. The house was very homely and had Everthing we needed. My son especially liked the room in the attic, with its own shower. The location of the property was good, near to all arears we wanted to visit. The property was clean and tidy, made all the difference having WI FI and sky.
We had a lovely holiday in Carters Cottage. The Cottage itself is very homely and decorated lovely. The kids loved the attic room! The only slight disadvantage is there is nothing in the Village of Sedgwick and the nearest pub/shop is a fair walk away. A perfect base though for exploring the Lake District.
Left on 11/20/2011 for a stay in November 2011 | Emily
The cottage was very pretty, and well furnished and decorated in a cosy style. Good facilities i.e. washing machine, dishwasher etc. Easy booking process via the agent. The cottage is located in a very pretty hamlet, and is a good base from which to explore the southern lakes etc. All in all we had a lovely break - many thanks.
Left on 11/08/2011 for a stay in August 2011 | Esther
We really enjoyed our stay at the cottage, epecially our dog Mr Bloggs. The location is perfect for visting the Lakes and has some fab walks nearby [even did some geocahching]
The rooms were really nicely decorated and the tv in each bedroom was really handy when we needed a break from each other.
Thanks so much for a great cottage and we look forward to using the website again.
Left on 11/03/2011 for a stay in September 2011 | Julie Austin
From the outside the cottage was very pretty and in a beautiful spot, but it was difficult to find and when I called the office for help they didn't really know exactly where it was. Inside the cottage was far smaller and far darker than it appeared in the photographs. The stairs were very steep and the beds in the attic bedroom couldn't be sat up in and you banged your head unless you crawled out of bed.
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 240,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.