Additional Location Information
The Algarve / Central Algarve region
The Algarve is the southern most region of Portugal and a beloved holiday destination well known for glorious year round sunshine and excellent sandy beaches.
These vary from secluded coves with amazing cliffs to vast stretches of golden sand all sea washed by the fresh and clear Atlantic ocean. Inland you will find quaint villages barely touched by tourism.
The Algarve is a children's haven with several exciting water parks, 'Zoomarine' sealife centre, horse riding centres and plenty of fun on the beaches!
Whatever your preference, you will find your personal paradise in the Algarve.
However, if you fancy a drive into Spain then the border is only a 50 minute drive and Seville approx two hours depending on traffic.
The Silves area
Silves is an enchanting town littered with orange and lemon trees, sitting on the banks of the Arade River ("Rio Arade").
There is history everywhere you look in Silves, to remind you of it’s affluent and bold past as a Moorish capital (“Xelb”).
The importance of Silves lay in the fact that it was the main access to the inland areas of the Algarve because of its river location, although the river is now too silted up for large vessels to use.
The most prominent monument is Castelo de Silves, which is now the best preserved castle in the Algarve.
The castle and the Cathedral beside it are the first buildings you see as you approach Silves, as they sit on the hilltop above the town
There is an extensive information pack with full details of local restaurants and amenities in the area.
Airport: Faro: 62 km
Railway: Silves: 4 km
Ferry: Portimao: 20 km
* Fly to Faro - Monach, RyanAir, British Airways, Easy jet, Jet 2. Recommended (website: hidden)
* Quinta do Sobreiro, Silves is approx 63km from Faro Airport (40 - 50 mins)
* There are local taxis available at the airport. The charge is approx 80€/90€
* Taxis can be arranged in advance for 60€ through (website: hidden)
* Car hire is available and could recommend through (website: hidden)
* Travel from Faro to Silves by Train: 4.15€ (the station is some way out of the town)
* Travel from Faro to Silves by Bus: No direct bus; Bus to Albufeira (4.40€) and change buses to go to Silves (3.95€)
Activities near Silves
Sports: Watersports, Waterpark, Horse Riding, Golf within 30 mins drive, Fishing
Great for: Walking holidays, Rural / countryside retreats, A winter sun break, Cycling holidays