- 3 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- Sleeps 8
Description from the owner
CAR HIRE AND WIFI AT AN EXTRA 115 EURO/WEEK. THIS RATE APPLIES FROM NOVEMBER TILL END OF MAY. However a car is not needed.
A uniquely-converted historic bakery with lots of charm and character just 5 min drive away from the sea and cultural places. A warm and cosy place ideal for those who want to relax and enjoy their stay. Stunning views of the sea and countryside from the roof.
Part of this historical building dates back to 300 years and was recently restored by the owners with (email: hidden)ention to detail. One can easily feel the warm and cosy atmosphere of this comfortable accommodation a...Read more
A uniquely-converted bakery with stunning views
Zebbug, Island of Gozo, Malta
Additional Location Information
Discovering Gozo, a tiny island measuring about 14km by 7km with about 31000 inhabitants, is the key to discovering one of the most untouched and unique islands in the Mediterranean. Gozo, which is rather different from the sister island Malta, is the perfect island holiday destination, a serene land where time has stood still and where the locals are very helpful and friendly and are always ready to go out of their way to help. Its outstanding climate with temperatures hardly reaching 10 Celcius in winter, is an all-year round destination. Gozo with over 7000 years of history, is ideal for beach holidays, religious or historical travel, an eco-holiday, a walking holiday or just an opportunity to get away from it all and indulge in great food, great beaches and an exceptional culture. It is also paradise for those after a diving holiday in the crystal-clear Mediterranean waters. Gozo is many things to many different people, but above all it is truly special, tranquil and unique: the island of Myths and Miracles...
“Zebbug”, our village, means 'Olives' and this village was once famous for its abundance of olive trees. The olives were grown and harvested here and taken for pressing into oil at the adjacent village down the hill ,on the way to Victoria which is called Ghasri (meaning the ''pressing place'' ).
Zebbug is an old hilltop village with exotic views. The village's highest spot is marked by its parish church and the customary stone cross in front of it. Except for the coastal portions of Qbajjar and Marsalforn, the villagers of Zebbug actually live on two hills connected by a narrow strip of land. The land drops abruptly all around. This can be experienced along the road to Qbajjar and Marsalforn. Here you will see that Zebbug commands spectacular views over the coast , land and sea. Another steep hill at Zebbug is the flat topped Ta’ Kuljat, which contains some bronze age silo pits. The area between this hill and Qbajjar to the north contains many Punic and Pre-Historic tombs.
The villagers are known for the high quality of their (Bizzilla) lace, weaving and woolen blankets. Their religious values are untarnished, as judged for example from the high priority given to the maintenance of street niches.
Included with Zebbug is a good portion of Gozo`s north shore, which is characterized by some scenic inlets, natural bluffs and man-made salt pans. At Wied il-Ghasri, one of the islands beauty spots, quaint boat shelters align the narrow canyon, which also offers a secluded small sandy beach.
Our unique location blessed with spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea offers a quiet place to get away from it all. Although tucked in an alley thus making it very safe for families with young children, it is at the same time close to all amenities. Seafront restaurants, supermarkets, beaches, diving, boat trips to Comino & Blue Lagoon, historical and cultural places are just 5 minutes drive away. For those who want to feel the remote life of a typical rural village, one can buy the fresh bread from the 8am van. Also the fish vendor and fruit and vegetable van come everyday infront of the house. For those who do not want to cook after a whole day exploring the island, one can visit Francesco’s Pizzeria in the village centre just 100m away from the house, and help himself at the hearty pizza at a very good price. Gozo’s traditional dishes include the sheep cheese filled ravioli, the “bragioli”, the local ftira, the mouthwatering fresh fish especially the “lampuki” pie and the “pastizzi”. On their day of arrival, our special guests are served with local delicacies including crunchy traditional bread with paste and fresh herbs, sheep peppered cheese, oven baked onions…a heaven for those who love typical cuisine.
THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY...
• WALKING AND CYCLING Holidays during Spring and Autumn (Guided walking guide booklets are available for free from our accommodation)
• Snorkelling and diving in Gozo which is attributed to have the best diving spots in the Mediterranean. Further information available from our accommodation.
• Carnival is celebrated on the five days preceding Ash Wednesday. It usually falls in February. Initiated during the Aragonese rule (before 1530), the celebration has continued to grow and expand. Colorful artistic floats, grotesque masks and dance companies of all ages and sexes parade the streets of the town and the main villages throughout the whole week. Becoming more popular is the spontaneous carnival organised after sunset in the village of Nadur. Hundreds of people walk up and down the main street dressed in comically distorted figures and the most imaginative and creative costumes and masks to conceal their identity. Free public transport during the night to our village. This year this is held between 4th and 12th February 2013.
• The week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday, known in the Christian calendar as Holy Week, is full of religious and folkloristic shows. The central event is the Good Friday procession during which several life-size statues representing various moments from the passion and death of Christ are paraded through the village streets of Zebbug. Several men make vows to walk in the procession carrying a heavy cross or dragging heavy iron chains tied to their ankles. They wear hoods to conceal their identity. Scores of boys and young men are dressed in period costumes to add to the pageantry of the manifestation. Most impressive is the Roman legion, a gleam of breastplates, spears and shields and who announce themselves with trumpets and drum rolls. The procession is accompanied by the village band.
• On Easter afternoon there is a procession with the statue of the Risen Christ in our village. When the statue reaches the village square, the bearers stop for a moment and then return the Risen Christ inside the church with a run. This year’s celebrations take place between 5th and 8th April.
• Strawberries festival in April 2012 - Festa Frawli 2012 Mgarr Malta (Transfers to and from accomodation available on request)
• Malta International Fireworks Festival Spectacular pyrotechnic event between 22/04/2012 to 01/05/2012. (Transfers to and from accomodation on request)
• Gozo Marathon 2012 - Gozo Half Marathon 2012 on 29 April 2012 (applications available on request)
• The Medieval Mdina Festival takes place in May. The festival focuses on re-enactments, pageantry and floral displays. Activities also include a medieval street market, jousting, a display of birds of prey, as well as medieval games for everyone. Entrance fees for all museums and attractions in Mdina have been reduced. Details of dates to be given later. (Transfers to and from accommodation are available on request).
• The Malta Jazz Festival takes place in July of every year. Dates of the program to be given later.
• Local folklore reaches its climax during the Village festas – During June to September there are celebrations every weekend in a different village. A festa worthy of the name is made up of illuminations, brass bands, fireworks and a procession. Sunday 19th August is Festa of Santa Maria at Zebbug our village with a whole week of celebrations and spectacular fireworks during the weekend. Detailed program available from our accommodation.
• Nadur Wine Festival - Delicata Wine Festival at Nadur from Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September (every day from 6pm till midnight). Public transport from and to the festival.
• Festival Mediterranea October-November 2012. An annual event on the Island of Gozo, Festival Mediterranea offers all that Gozo boasts of in the cultural and artistic arena. This mid-autumn festival has an island-wide aspect, with a wide variety of indoor and outdoor events. Music concerts dominate the celebrations, but there are also international conferences, walks and talks in ancient and historic places, field trips, food and drink events and art exhibitions. Festival Mediterranea offers visitors a great opportunity to learn about Gozo's temples and archaeological sites through a series of lectures and visits.
Giacomo Puccini's Turandot on 13 October 2012 at Aurora Opera Theatre Gozo.
Giacomo Puccini's Madama Butterfly on 25 October 2012 and 27 October 2012 at Astra Opera Theatre Gozo. Bookings to be done in advance.
• Betlehem at Ghajnsielem 2012 - Bethlehem f'Ghajnsielem Christmas village in Gozo
Visit the island of Gozo in December 2012 and January 2013 and experience Bethlehem f'Ghajnsielem - the largest animated Christmas village in Europe. FREE guided tour of this nativity village together with other live cribs on the island to all our visitors.
The bus stop is just 50 metres from the house and has really good connections to all villages on the island. Parking is outside the alley on the main street.
More About This Location
Beach or lakeside relaxation, Rural retreats
Car is not necessary
Last updated on June 06, 2014
Not available for your dates? Check availability for 2 other Zebbug rentalsCheck Availability for Zebbug
Rates shown in $ USD (Rental listed originally in EUR)
|See all dates
Enter dates to see your price
|Don't see rates for your trip?|
- Damage deposit | $269
- Fees for additional guests may apply.
Additional notes from the owner
Prices listed are for 2 persons.
EXTRA PERSONS PAY 10 EURO/PERSON/DAY. These rates do not include Highseason (940 euro/4 persons), Easter time (650 euro/4 persons) and Christmas time (650 euro/4 persons).
A damage deposit is to be paid on day of arrival.
A deposit or full payment is kindly asked to be paid to secure booking and the remaining amount is to be paid on arrival in cash.
Additional guests are to pay 10 euro/person per day.
LONG RENTAL RATES from 250 euro per week apply for two persons staying in the house for a minimum stay of 2 months (conditions apply)
WIFI at limited download is available at an extra cost.
- Washing Machine
- Linens Provided
- A/C or climate control
- Ceiling Fans
- Soap/Shampoo Provided
- Towels Provided
- Local Guides/Maps
Phone / Internet
- Internet Access
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub/Jacuzzi
- Ocean or water views
- Paper Towels Provided
- DVD Player
- Outdoor Dining Area
- Balcony or terrace
- Pet friendly - no
- Smoking allowed - no
- Suitable for children - yes
- Suitable for the elderly - yes
- Wheelchair accessible - no
- 120 square meters