Algarve is known for its rugged natural beauty and ancient history. In fact, Roman and Moorish ruins are still visible in several locations here. Algarve is also known for its figs, almonds, and orange groves, as well as some of the freshest seafood in the world!
Here are a few suggestions of things to do in Algarve:
- Take an ATV tour: An all-terrain vehicle may be the best way to immerse yourself in the challenging landscape here. ATV adventures are widely available and guides can take you places you can't reach by foot or car.
- Go horseback riding: This is another popular way to get around the countryside in Algarve, and it's somewhat quieter and more authentic than an ATV.
- Visit Cabo do Sao Vincente: Considered a magic place by ancient Romans and Neolithic people, this rocky coast with its historic lighthouse provides a home to some spectacular species of marine life and nesting birds.
- Take an eco-tour: An eco-adventure by boat will allow you to observe some of the diverse land and marine life of Algarve.
- Take a trip to Zoomarine: The best of both an aquarium and a zoo, Zoomarine offers dolphin presentations and close encounters with aquarium sharks, tropical birds, and sea lions. Zoomarine is also a theme park of sorts with swimming pools and other attractions.
- Night life: Sample some of Portugal's best bars, restaurants, and night spots in Algarve, including an unusually high number of fun-loving Portuguese-Irish pubs.
You can easily find a place to stay any season of the year in Faro or any of the other municipalities that make up the region of Algarve. You can rent a secluded villa with views overlooking the rocky coastline or you can book an apartment or condo closer to the heart of town. No matter what kind of vacation rental you're looking for, you can certainly find a beautiful and affordable place that meets your needs in Algarve.