Aptos is one of the quaint towns that lies between the rocky shores and beautiful endless vineyard country of California's Central Coast. Summer happens all year long here, with gently changing weather and cool breezes that drift in from the Pacific Ocean. As a result of its alluring climate and landscape, visitors have been coming here to tour the famous wineries and explore the pristine beaches of Aptos for generations.
In addition to its state parks, vineyards and natural wonders, the Monterey Peninsula is also home to some of California's most popular coastal attractions. While you're visiting Aptos, be sure to explore the Monterey Bay Aquarium, a world-class research facility and marine zoo housing thousands of ocean species including sharks and sea turtles. And don't miss a chance to spend an afternoon strolling, shopping and watching the famous sea lions of Fisherman's Wharf.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your vacation to the Central Coast:
- Visit the Aptos Farmer's Market: For the best and freshest local produce, lively conversation and a chance to learn about the origins of some of California's culinary treasures, visit the farmer's market that takes place here every Saturday.
- See live music and dance performances: See world class live music, theater, ballet and modern dance performances at the California Theater, the Rio Theater in Santa Cruz or the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts.
- Explore the coast: Go deep sea fishing, take a sea kayaking eco tour, go scuba diving or snorkeling for a close encounter with marine life, or simply relax on the beach.
- Take a culinary and winery tour: A vineyard tour is the best way to experience the heart of California's Central Coast wine country. Combine your tour with samplings of some of the world-class restaurants in and around Aptos.
- Visit the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park: Destroyed by the earthquake that shook this area in 1989, the forest is now rebounding, offering a glimpse into a rare natural process of ecological recovery.
- Play a round of golf: Aptos, Santa Cruz and Rio Del Mar are home to some champion class emerald green golf courses like De Laveage and Casserly Par.
No matter what season of the year you schedule your visit to Aptos, you'll have no trouble finding a place to stay. There are plenty of vacation rental opportunities here, so take your time and find the perfect cottage or apartment within reach of your favorite activities. Rent an elegant summer condo or beach villa with views of the Pacific Ocean. Or find a summerhouse big enough to host your family and friends.
Great rentals within 20 miles that match your search
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.