My family house on Atlantic Beach has been the favorite place for my family for the last 46 years. It was designed by my grandmother for one purpose: to accommodate a large number of people to get together and do whatever the heck they want to at the beach. It was not designed to look fancy and extravagant to serve someone's vanity.
in the upstairs (the beach facing floor)
large great hall room with a sitting area, TV area, and a dinner table that holds up to ten people
full kitchen with a pass-thru breakfast area
bedroom with king bed and half bath (turquoise room)
bedroom with double, twin, and half bath (yellow room)
bedroom with two twins and a full bath in the adjacent hallway (green room)
downstairs (road facing side)
bedroom with two twins and a half bath (green room)
bedroom with two twins and a sink (turquoise room)
bedroom with a double, twin, and a half bath (yellow room)
two very small semi-separate room each with a twin
two shower rooms
a 12' x 35' (at least) deck that is one third covered by a viewing deck above
shower for getting sand off
parking for up to six cars
As you see from the description, it's not big on spacious baths or bedrooms for lounging around it. It is made for getting you rested, cleaned, fed, and socialized and getting to the beach or the next party. Everyone who's ever been in it thinks it's the best beach house in the world. We certainly do.
More to know:
- The stairs were designed by my grandmother for her purposes, not for anyone else. They're tiny.
- The house could actually sleep about 16 if needed without putting anyone on a sofa or cot. But you have to count the beds and do the math yourself.
- This rental will normally include sheets and towels and cleaning service for those and the rooms when you leave. If you need extra when you're there, you'll have to use the washer.
- We are very protective of the house and it's environment. We have been able to increase the size of the dune substantially in the last decade. As a result the stairs to the beach end behind the front dune and you have to walk across the dune to get to the beach. Please respect the dune and use the path that we have established through it. if it looks like you have damaged the dune, we will go into the damage deposit.
- Sand in the house is our enemy. We typically put a bucket of water at the entrance to the deck for everyone to clean off their feet. If it looks like you have not been diligent about keeping sand out, we will go into the damage deposit.
- The fireplace is NOT real.
- We do not yet have Internet. So far that has allowed us to be detached from the everyday garbage of life. However, we'll probably have it soon because we think that's what people want. Just like children want ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- There is one television. We've talked about getting another one in the common room downstairs. In the meantime, get out of the house and go have some fun.
wildlife you'd want to see:
dolphins - usually come by every day or two in the morning
whales - I've seen one pod in all the time I've been there
crabs - ghost and spotted crabs out front are having a hard time because of more people
birds - plenty of the common shore birds
jellyfish - very uncommon in the water, but occasionally found washed up on the beach
turtles - nope, sorry
wildlife you'd not want to see or feel:
biting insects in general: never present on the ocean side with an ocean breeze, but will be around calmer areas on the backside of the island
mosquitoes - look out for these if you go hiking the nature trails at the aquarium
barn flies - look exactly like houseflies, but they suck your blood. If it looks like a housefly and it lands on you kill it.
no-see-ums - They look just like a freckle, but sting a bit more. If you're sitting around in a place with no wind and something starts itching on your arm, swat first and ask questions later. It's a no-see-um.
jellyfish - I had to include them here too. Yes, they can still sting you long after they're washed up and dead.TripAdvisor property ID 4647322...Read more
Family beach house for a large crew Atlantic Beach, North Carolina
Additional Location Information
The house is two and a half miles west (yes west, the island runs east-west) of the center of Atlantic Beach right on the beach. The high dunes protect the house and provide interesting habitat for birds. The house is close enough to Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, and Beaufort, and Pine Knoll Shoresto make shopping, dining, night life, and going to museums and aquariums easy.
aquarium and wildlife trails 3 miles west in Pine Knoll Shores
Fort Macon 5 miles east at the end of Bogue Banks
shopping and restaurants in Beaufort (8 miles away)
charter tour boats in Beaufort
shopping and restaurants in Morehead City (4 miles away)
charter fishing boats in Morehead
shopping and restaurants in Atlantic Beach (2 miles away, although we don't go there much)
fishing out front if you have a license (spot, mullet, pompano, and bluefish in season)
More About This Location
Beach or lakeside relaxation, Waterfront
Nearest airport: Raleigh (RDU), 166 miles Car is essential
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.