Bavaria, the largest state in Germany, is a region composed of a diverse variety of natural landscapes. The snowy rugged Alps provide a postcard perfect destination for skiing and snowboarding. Ancient towering pine forests overshadow the medieval villages of Regensburg and Passau. And rolling farmland extends on either side of the Romantic Road that winds through the heart of Bavaria past walled villages and famous castles.
Head to the north to see the cities of Nuremburg and Bamburg, or go east for a view of the famous Danube River. Bavaria is the home of the opulent palaces of Ludwig the II, lederhosen, cuckoo clocks, oompah bands and beer steins. At the center of the state lies Munich, a warm and welcoming metropolis that blends Bavarian traditions with innovative art and culture.
Join the thousands of visitors who come to this part of Germany every year to explore extraordinary castles, see alpine villages forgotten by time, and sample world famous traditional Bavarian cuisine. You'll never run out of places to go and things to see and do here. And no matter where you end up, you'll be met with uniquely Bavarian openhearted friendliness and hospitality.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Munich: Take a guided tour of the churches and castles of Munich. Visit St. Peters, the Deutsches Science Museum, and the Munich Zoo. While you are in town, stroll through the gardens and pavilions of the Nymphenburg Palace.
- Nuremberg: Nuremburg has many important historic and cultural sites, including the German Railway Museum and the Nuremburg Toy Museum.
- Coburg: Visit the Veste Coburg, a large medieval castle now functioning as an art museum.
- Regensburg: Explore the exhibits of the Historisches Museum, documenting the history of Regensburg from the Stone Age to the 20th century.
- Bayreuth: See a performance at the beautiful and historic Markgr„fliches Opera House in Bayreuth.
- Aub: Visit some of the important religious pilgrimage sites of Aub, including the Kunigunden Chapel and the Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption.
You'll find historic charm, natural beauty, and adventures around every corner in Bavaria, and you'll also have no trouble finding a perfect place to stay. Find a vacation rental in the heart of Munich, close to the shops and nightlife, rent a cozy cabin in the Alps, or book a cottage in a beautiful medieval village along the Romantic Road. If you have the time, explore the rest of Germany or include a trip to Austria in your travel plans.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.