Just to the south of Torremolinos on the Andaluc¡an coast of Spain, you'll find the beautiful town of Benalmadena. Like much of southern Spain, Benalmadena is a place of colorful fishing boats, golden sand beaches and unforgettable Spanish culinary traditions. But Benalmadena is smaller and not as crowded as the neighboring cities along the Costa del Sol and offers a quieter and more authentic immersion in Spanish coastal life.
Come here to see an inspiring performance of real flamenco, live music, or Spanish dressage, a collection of acrobatic movements performed by highly trained horses. Visit some of the many museums in the center of town including the local history museum and archeological collection. Also, make sure to visit the Benalmadena Enlightenment Stupa, or Buddhist temple, the largest of its kind in Europe. After the sun goes down, head downtown or to the Old Village, also called Benalmadena Pueblo, to have a glass of sangria and experience the best of Costa Del Sol's intoxicating nightlife.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Play on the beach: Malapesquera Beach is one of the popular beaches in Benalmadena. Come here to swim, snorkel, people watch, or just relax in the golden sun.
- Visit the Castillo de Colomares: See this beautiful example of a preserved medieval castle just outside of the city.
- See performing horses at Club El Ranchito: See a performance of real Spanish dressage here in Andaluc¡a where horse training is an art form that has been perfected for centuries.
- Visit the Sea Life Aquarium: This aquarium is small but contains an impressive variety of marine species. It's a great place to visit if you're traveling with children.
- Explore the Benalmadena Puerto Marina: Wander the boat docks, shops and cafes of this popular marina. This is a beautiful place to rent a boat, go fishing, or watch the sunset.
Benalmadena is warm and inviting during every season of the year. Visitors come here from all over the world to experience the endless summer as well as the rich culture and natural beauty of this area. You'll never run out of fun things to do and see here, and you'll have no trouble finding the perfect vacation rental for your stay. Find a luxury condo close to the heart of town near the restaurants and nightlife, or rent an elegant Spanish villa just a few steps away from the beach. While you're visiting Benalmadena, take a trip north to beautiful Torremolinos or south to the coastal town of Fuengirola.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.