Windy Knob was featured in Architectural Digest when it was built in the 1970s. This is a large home with unbelievably huge views from virtually every room. Located at nearly 5,000 feet above sea level, on the top of the ridge overlooking the Hawksnest Resort valley near the township of Seven Devils, you can see miles and miles to Virginia and Tennessee!
This home has large seating areas with leather furniture, large stone fireplace, and many fixed glass windows through which to enjoy the view.
This home has ample space for large groups. While it only has 4 bedrooms, the sleeping spots abound. Here are the sleeping possibilities:
- Master Bedroom (sleeps 2)
- Guest bedroom has 4 poster bed (sleeps 2)
- Twin bedroom (sleeps 2)
- Twin bedroom (sleeps 2)
- Game room with ping pong table and large screen TV with surround sound has:
- 2 Full sized futons that sleep 2 each (sleeps 4)
- Owner is fine if you would like to sleep someone on sofa (Sleeps 1) (this is a pull out sofa that is currently broken. . so sleepers will "be on the couch". )
- There are no bedrooms on the main floor, as the main floor totally encompasses the great room with the dining room, kitchen, and huge living room. There are 3 large leather sofas (not pull out) which could accommodate people, if so desired, but you should bring a sleeping bag for them.
- There is a large amount of additional floor space in front of the stone fireplace if additional camping would be of interest!
- This is the top floor (4th floor) - it is just a look out in all directions. It is not big, but it is carpeted, and has been enjoyed by people in sleeping bags.
This property says it will allow 12 people. However, the owner has provided authority for a larger group, if we talk with you about your group. The additional cost is $17 per person per night over the first 12 people.
***Please be aware that this house does not have wifi or internet***
** One word of caution if you have little ones. The decks are safe, but there is a spiral staircase in the center of the home that goes to all 4 floors of this house. The railings for those spiral staircase are built to 1970 building code; not to current safety standards for infants or young children.
*** Many people have enjoyed Windy Knob. But it should be noted that this home is as pictured. The benefits of this home are: huge views, large capacity with large gathering area, uniqueness, and affordability (compared to similarly sized homes). Guests looking for a luxury experience should continue searching. Contact our office for details 828 295 6000 ***
Additional amenities include: spectacular views!, sugar mountain is only about 1 mile (as the crow flies), and you can see it from the road to the house, but you have to go down and around the mountain, so it is about 20 minutes to sugar mountain., close to hawksnest tubing run and zip line - just 2 minutes away, tennis courts available, 5000 sq/ft, value: priced like a much smaller cabin., enjoy cool mountain breezes at 4000+ feet elevation (no ac)....Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.