While much of Orange County has become more commercialized in recent years, the town of Capistrano Beach has remained exclusively a beach community. The wide range of outdoor sporting options, delicious seafood and friendly locals provide all the ingredients for a relaxing and enjoyable getaway. Naturally, most of the dining and shopping options are centered around Capistrano Beach itself. However, there are attractions within walking distance of wherever you are staying in the area.
Be sure to make time for some of these activities and attractions while in Capistrano Beach:
- Dana Point Harbor: The harbor offers a number of water sport activities including windsurfing, body boarding and kayaking.
- Mariner's Village: Located just outside of the harbor, this local mall area is home to some of the best restaurants and shops in the area.
- Go to a Baseball Game: The California Angels play just 10 miles away in the city of Anaheim.
- Catalina Island: Take a quick boat ride across the Pacific Ocean to this local haven filled with shops, golf courses, and miles of sandy white beaches.
- Go Whale Watching: There are many local companies that offer tours that guarantee sightings of some of the local whales.
- Del Mar Fairgrounds: Located in nearby Del Mar, this amusement park has a wide range of games and rides that are perfect for a family-friendly excursion.
Don't let the small size of Capistrano Beach fool you. This beach town is home to some of the biggest events and festivals in the region. Celebrate the whales making their annual trip down south at the Dana Point Festival of the Whales in March, enjoy blues music from the top performers in the state at the Doheny Blues Festival in May, or cheer on the runners participating in the Turkey Trot every November.
As one of the most popular vacation destinations in California, there's an ample supply of vacation rentals to choose from during your stay. Rent a villa with luxury amenities or book a condo just steps from the ocean.
Many people choose to remain in Capistrano Beach exclusively during their stay, but there are a number of day trip options for those to wish to explore the rest of the Orange County region. The ritzy seaside community of Laguna Beach, picturesque San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano can all be reached in less than an hour by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.