Like nearby Encinitas and Cardiff-by-the Sea, Carlsbad is one of the popular vacation destinations that lies along the coast of California in the northern part of San Diego County. Carlsbad is especially appealing as a laid-back summer getaway for families with children. Many of the attractions here provide great fun for little ones, and the beaches are safe, clean and sunny.
But there are plenty of activities here for adults as well. Hiking and running trails throughout the area are scenic and pleasant and provide wonderful views of San Diego's sandy sagebrush hills and cliffs along the sea.
Visit some of the museums and historic sites that preserve the area's Spanish mission past. See live music and theater at one of the many relaxed and intimate venues in Carlsbad. Go shopping in the quaint upscale market districts of Encinitas. Or, try a delicious fish taco at a beachside stand in Cardiff. And after the sun goes down, enjoy the warm, beachy energetic vibe of Carlsbad's popular nightspots.
Here are a few additional suggestions to help you plan your trip:
- Play on the beach: Spend an afternoon on Carlsbad State Beach, a long stretch of well- maintained golden sand that's very popular with families and children. Surf, swim, rent a boat, go parasailing or just bring a good book and relax.
- Bike along The Boulevard: The Boulevard is a popular biking and running route that winds along the entire stretch of Carlsbad State Beach.
- Visit the Museum of Making Music: This small but fun and interactive museum showcases 100 years of American music and musical instruments.
- Explore the Carlsbad Flower Fields: This fifty acre site houses endless award winning gardens, nurseries and cultivated fields of native blooming plants.
- Visit the Sealife Aquarium: Learn more about Pacific coast marine life and natural history at this aquarium featuring hands on displays, live marine animals and starfish touch pools.
- Take a trip to Legoland: Legoland is becoming an iconic American road trip destination. This popular park is a fun, quirky place to visit with children of every age.
Finding a place to stay may be the easiest part of planning your trip. There are plenty of vacation rental opportunities in Carlsbad that are perfectly matched to every preference and budget. Find an affordable condo with all the comforts of home, or rent a luxurious ocean villa a few steps from the beach with room for your friends and family.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.