Recent reviews for Carmel, California, USA
"Peaceful and Charming"
Left on 07/09/2015 for a stay in June 2015
It was like living in an atrium. Walls of windows, super cozy, quiet, and peaceful, with modern amenities, updated kitchen and bathroom and beautiful courtyard with indoor outdoor feel. Quiet and serene, yet close to town. Perfect. Loved working with Sanctuary Vacation Rentals. They really took care of us for a few months while we looked for a long term home.
"Authentic, without a hint of pretension."
Left on 07/02/2015 for a stay in June 2015
We rolled into Carmel in the late afternoon with pretty kranky kids of 5 and 6. Then we turned off Ocean onto Junipero; Right away my girl says, "This is a fairy village!". We pull up to the Cottage of River Winds and walk up the garden path and discover the pictures are not even close to as awesome as this place. My son asks, "Can we live here?", I say yes.
If you are looking for a place to relax with your family in a cottage that feels like you belong, then the Cottage of River Winds is the place for you. Coming from modest roots, I felt like this place was an heirloom from a long lost aunt 'Etta'. Then looking out the large windows to take in the well maintained informal garden with my Wife's favorite, Alstroemeria, growing right outside. It all felt just right; Totally authentic without a hint of pretension.
We REALLY used the kitchen. Aside from a serious need for a sharp knife, LOL, we made some really great food; Braised short ribs with
As the week went on I reflected on how blessed I felt for my life and thankful that I'd had the opportunity to have a trip like this. I'm lucky; In love and family. I couldn't want more. Thank you so much, Krys, Doug, and Aunt Etta.
An ideal vacation rental experience awaits you in Carmel, CA. Famous for its cosmopolitan shopping and dining amidst a breath-taking Pacific Ocean backdrop, Carmel, including the surrounding areas of Carmel Valley, Carmel Highlands, and Carmel by the Sea, is home to some of the best beaches and wineries around. Let the crash of the ocean waves lull you to sleep inside your personal vacation home rental. Step outside your bedroom onto your own private porch or deck, a luxury that many rentals offer, and watch the sunrise over the ocean.
Spend your days exploring the coast, swimming, boating, sunning, or golfing, then retreat back to your home at night and relax in the hot tub underneath a clear, cool, California starry sky. Known for its deep appreciation of the arts, Carmel is home to a number of great music, art, and literature festivals. The Carmel Bach Festival dedicates itself to the history and legacy of Johann Sebastian Bach by hosting a number of special concerts throughout the week.
Here are a few additional suggestions for your trip:
- Take the scenic drive along Route 1: Deemed by John Steinbeck as "the most dramatic meeting of Sea and Land," Route 1 boasts some of the most beautiful views in Carmel, including rugged canyons and bold redwoods.
- Take a winery tour: Chateau Julien, a stunning 16-acre country estate in the Carmel Valley Mountains is open daily for wine tasting, picnicking, and tours.
- Take a walking tour: Slow down and absorb Carmel's beauty with Carmel Walks, a two hour guided tour that takes visitors through secret paths, flower filled gardens, and charming cottages. As the home to many poets and writers as well as the oldest art gallery in Carmel, Carmel Walk has some of the most interesting sites and detailed architecture around.
- Play a round of golf: Serious golfers come to Carmel for the beautifully maintained, champion caliber golf courses.
- Hike the trails of Point Lobos State Reserve: Explore the hiking and biking trails with spectacular views of waves crashing against the rocks, and see native wildlife like sea lions.
- Go scuba diving and snorkeling: Point Lobos State Reserve is also a great place to see reefs and sea life from offshore.
Rent an ocean side condo in Carmel and invite your friends to join you for a weekend getaway. Or enjoy your family vacation in a rental home or elegant villa with spectacular views of the Pacific. For beautiful and memorable weddings by the sea, Carmel provides the perfect destination. In addition to weddings, venues in Carmel are great for family reunions, honeymoons, and annual gatherings among friends. If you choose Carmel for your important event, you'll have no trouble finding a perfect vacation rental with all the luxury accommodations you need to host your friends and loved ones. While you're visiting Carmel, drive along California's Big Sur Coast Highway that hugs the coast and connects Big Sur to Monterey.