COME STAY AWHILE at Lakewood Cottage, a fine vacation home with luxury amenities for up to 8 discerning vacationers, nestled in the only beach community adjacent to the Indiana Dunes State Park -- offering beach-going, hiking and biking trails and bird watching opportunities galore! Our home is a secluded retreat perched on top of one the area's famous wooded sand dunes with a "treehouse feel" and 3 levels of outdoor decks to take in the gorgeous views -- all while still being a very short stroll to the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan!
OUTDOOR LIVING, VISTAS & BEACH ACCESS: From the moment you come through the front door, you will be struck by the “wall of windows” that brings the Dunes treetops right into the home in almost every room. The view will lead you out onto three levels of outdoor living space – 2000 square feet of decks -- where you can relax in our deck chairs or grill up a gourmet meal to enjoy al fresco. Although you will feel miles from civilization, you are only a short 5-10 minute walk to the fabulous beaches of Lake Michigan!
BEDROOMS: Lakewood Cottage accommodates up to 8 people in high style, in four sleeping room areas, each with comfortable queen-size bed and nice sitting area. The Master Suite occupies the top floor, and has its own deck with café dining set. The Library Suite has a separate sitting room stocked with great reads, and french doors to the lower level deck. Also on the lower level is the Canopy Bedroom which has beautiful wooded dune views and is adjacent to the lower level media room. The Sunroom sleeping area (on the main floor), when curtained off, boasts its own private screened-in porch and also has separate back deck access. All four sleeping areas have comfortable queen size beds (the Sunroom queen is a new hideabed) and top quality pillows.
FINE AMENITIES: On the inside, this is a luxury retreat, stocked with all of the amenities you would expect in a fine hotel and all of the comforts of home: Please note that this is our actual home that we share with a few vacationers every year -- it is not a "beach shack" type rental home with "rental furnishings" -- we have left all of our nice things for you to enjoy while here.
OCCUPANCY: To ensure that Lakewood Cottage remains a premium quality property for future discerning vacationers, we have a FIRM OCCUPANCY LIMIT OF 8 GUESTS, and smoking and pets are not allowed. Lakewood Cottage is therefore an ideal spot for 2-4 couples vacationing together, a family vacation, a girls get-away, or even a small business retreat or workshop (we have a big table)!
COOKING IS FUN at Lakewood Cottage -- in our gourmet kitchen featuring Sub-Zero and Bosch stainless appliances, double-ovens, a wine refrigerator, and a cocktail bar area. (We can point you to all the best gourmet grocers nearby.) Large cherry dining table seats 8. The kitchen is nicely stocked with everything you need for cooking and dining (inside or out): Dansk and All-Clad cookwear, plenty of utensils and small appliances. The Weber gas grill is ready for you, too.
• Wood burning fireplace
• Jetted tub and river rock shower
• High-speed WIFI
• Whole house audio with zoned music speakers on each floor and on the back deck
• Beach towels, chairs, a beach umbrella & picnic basket
• Hiking & biking trail maps, and brochures for local attractions;
• A library stocked with interesting reads;
• Two media room areas with large screen TVs, DVD players, Comcast cable
• A selection of blockbuster DVDs, puzzles and board games.
A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS TO DO:
• Hike over 16 miles of trails right next door in the Indiana Dunes State Park, including Mt. Tom, the highest dune in Indiana
• Take a picnic lunch to our beach for the day, where you can swim in Lake Michigan, beachcomb for sea glass, and watch boaters and sailboarders.
• Sprawl out on one of our 3 levels of decks with treetop views and listen to the birdsong!
• Create a special meal in the gourmet kitchen or on the Weber grill al fresco
• Play a tune on our antique Steinway baby grand piano
• Don't miss the European Market in Chesterton on Saturday mornings!
• Have a full day of antiquing, boutiquing, and dining along the famous Red Arrow Highway
• Bring your bikes and cycle on one of the nearby Rails-to-Trails paths
• Curl up with a book from our library (& morning coffee or evening cocktail) in the screened porch
• Play a round of golf at The Brassie
• A nostalgic “Drive-In” experience: Dinner at The Port, followed by a movie at The 49'er Drive-In
• Keep our back deck feeder full and look for cardinals, goldfinches, indigo buntings, hummingbirds!
• Visit the Taltree Arboretum in Valparaiso and check out the Model Train Gardens
• Try your luck at one of three area casinos: Horseshoe, Blue Chip, or Four Winds
• Have a “spa-day” at one of the many nice spas in the area, or order an in-home massage...Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.