Recent reviews for Chincoteague Island, Virginia, USA
"Great Location and Property"
Left on 06/09/2015 for a stay in June 2015
This is a great rental for any situation. My boyfriend and I were visiting Chincoteague for the second year. Prior we had stayed in a very small apartment/condo which cost more than staying in this large, beautiful and perfectly located house. Unfortunately for us we didn't have the best weather during our stay, but the furniture was comfy for staying in and watching movies. The neighborhood is very quiet but also within walking distance of downtown. Most people spend their vacation outdoors but, in that unfortunate event like us where you have some bad weather, this is also a great house for general relaxation!
"Lovely week at Spinnaker!"
Left on 07/17/2015 for a stay in May 2015
We had the nicest time there with our 1-year-old daughter. The house has a beautiful deck area on the water where you can grill. The galley-style kitchen has a pass-through to the screened in porch, which made cooking and serving meals really smooth and easy. (Plus kiddo liked playing peek-a-boo through that pass-through.) We caught crabs off of the deck one night for dinner. Spinnaker is a very relaxing place for a family vacation.
"Great, fun location for water lovers"
Left on 06/07/2015 for a stay in April 2015
Epiphany was the perfect place for a fun getaway. We were trying to find a place that had water access for fishing, etc. and this was the perfect fit. Plenty of room for everyone and the house was well-equipped. Beautiful views and not far from local attractions. Blair was a pleasure to deal with, highly recommend!
"the best house ever"
Left on 07/04/2015 for a stay in July 2013
This house was the best vacation house I have stayed in on Chincoteague Island. Its great with the pool when you come home from a long day on the beach you can relax in the pool.
About Chincoteague Island
Located on the eastern shore of Virginia, Chincoteague Island is a low-key summer destination, easily accessible from anywhere on the East Coast of the United States. Many families begin their Chincoteague vacation with an ocean tour around the island during which you can often see dolphins and other marine life. Alternately, you can take a guided nature walk with the Chincoteague Natural History Association.
The beautiful shoreline is the island's greatest attraction, perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and building sandcastles in the surf. A family friendly destination, there are hundreds of ways to entertain the kids on Chincoteague Island. In addition to the beach, you can spend an afternoon at a miniature golf course or head to the bowling alley. Another popular activity is renting bicycles and touring the island's country roads. As you ride, keep an eye out for the famous wild ponies of Chincoteague. A unique Chincoteague attraction, the wild ponies roam freely along the island's sandy beaches.
With the bountiful ocean surrounding Chincoteague, fishing is a major activity in the region. Surf fishing is allowed on numerous beaches, though visitors may also plan to go deep-sea fishing with a charter. Waterfowl hunting is also permitted and popular throughout the island during hunting season. Likewise, when it comes to cuisine, Chincoteague is heavy on the seafood, with a particular emphasis on Maryland's famous blue crab.
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to do in Chincoteague:
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge: Spanning the state line between Maryland and Virginia, this wonderful wilderness preserve is a great place to spot birds, elk, white-tailed deer, rabbits, and, of course, ponies.
- Chincoteague Pony Centre: After watching wild ponies roam along Chincoteague's beaches, you can take the kids to pet domesticated ponies and to learn more about the pony origins at the small accompanying museum.
- Assateague Island National Seashore: Just across the water from Chincoteague Island, there are over 35 miles of pristine coastline.
- Tom's Cove Park: Spend the day at this beautiful cove, which offers three fishing piers, calm beaches, and a beautiful coastal habitat for pony viewing.
- Beebe Ranch: Come to this lovely ranch to visit the descendants of Misty, a wild pony made famous in a children's book.
- Oyster and Maritime Museum: Learn about the history of seafood and the island of Chincoteague at this museum.
Enjoy the East Coast in the summer with a waterfront vacation rental in Chincoteague, Virginia. For a real taste of the shore, seek out a cottage or rental home along the coastline and beaches on Chincoteague Island, or look for a romantic Victorian mansion in one of the small island communities.