This 900 sqft (nearly 4 times the size of a typical hotel room) classic, colonial apartment captures the essence of Cuenca. Enjoy the comforts of a home (rather than just a bed in a room) for what you'd pay for an average hotell! Save money by not having to eat out for EVERY meal!
Situated in an old colonial building, right in the heart of Cuenca's El Centro, within easy walking distance to all the amenities you could possibly want! Even though the building dates back to before we were born, the apartment has been completely upgraded and modernized but without losing the character and charm.
1. Close to the blue-domed Cathedral, flower market, and Parque Calderon, the center of the Universe when it comes to Cuenca’s activities, festivals, tourism office, tour bus, etc.
2. EZ walk to a large Mercado featuring local grown fruits and vegetables plus meats and seafood
3. Lots of eateries from cheap $3 lunches to upscale restaurants
4. A few blocks to the Tomebamba river and greenbelt, great for people watching, running, biking, exercise
5. Pharmacies, medical/dental offices, and hospital all nearby
6. Want a taxi? A bus? They're ripe for picking anywhere you find yourself in Cuenca
7. Nearby is a plaza lined with Otovalan vendors selling beautiful fabrics, clothing, shawls, scarves, tapestries, etc.
Elevators are very rare in the older buildings of Cuenca. This unit requires a one flight walk up.
The kitchen has plenty of counter (prep) space plus lots of upper/lower cabinets and drawers and…it's fully stocked with everything you'll need (except food!)…gas cooktop/oven, microwave, toaster, toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, food processor, and tall refrigerator.
Also, in this large space, you'll find the washer AND a dryer (VERY uncommon here!!) and off to the side, an antique office desk for your computer moments.
The living room is HUGE with dramatic 11ft high ceilings of elaborate design, trimmed with equally dramatic crown mouldings, and topped off with large, ornate, wrought iron chandeliers. Large windows let in plenty of light . The living area is outfitted with a large L-shaped sofa, flat screen TV (with HDMI ports so you can watch TV (even USA stations!) from your internet device), and DVD player (with library of DVD's). Off to the side is the dining area with a nice table and 4 chairs.
Throughout the apartment, you'll find pieces of art by local artisans like ceramics by Eduardo Vega, handmade candelabras by local metalworkers, and Otavalan tapestries. You'll be happy as a clam.
The bedroom has a queen-sized bed situated in the back away from the front of the building. Note: This is a separate bedroom….the bed is NOT in middle of the living room like so many others!! It has a beautiful antique armoire (closet), its own private bath with shower (towels and bedding provided).
OH!! A cell phone AND internet are provided, too!
Yet another bonus...the rooftop patio with table and chairs, and great views daytime or nightime.
Availability: Please consult the online calendar.
Pricing: You'll find the daily cost of this apartment to be less than an average hotel here in Cuenca, especially when you consider the additional expenses of eating out all the time. AND, if you stay a month or longer, you'll get a significantly discounted month-rate, saving you even MORE money!! Ask yourself..."How many nights would I be able to stay in Cuenca if I paid the same amount for a hotel?"
When you arrive in Cuenca, I will pick you up at your arrival point (whether that be the airport, bus terminal, or van service), bring you to the apartment, give you a short orientation, answer any questions, and hand over the keys!!
YOUR CHECKLIST WHEN VIEWING OTHER PROPERTIES:
* Location. Can you walk to most everything you'll want to do, or do you always need to take a taxi or bus?
* Does the unit have hot water at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink (rare here), and piped to the shower?
* Does the shower have direct-piped hot water, or one of those electric shower-heads that produce only lukewarm water (known as 'widow-makers')?
* Does the unit have an oven or just a cooktop?
* Does it have both a washer and dryer IN the unit?
* Does it have a tiny fridge? Is it sitting on the floor where you darn near have to get on your knees to get anything?
* If 2 people are sleeping in the same bed, can they walk around both sides of the bed?
* Is the bed(s) located in the SAME space as the living room?
* Does the furniture look comfortable or is it rigid and formal and/or crammed together in a tiny space?
* Does the kitchen provide all the tools, gadgets, and small appliances you'll want to 'get the job done'?
These kinds of things can make the difference between an 'okay' experience and a great one. Closely examine the photos in each listing and look for details in the descriptive write-up.TripAdvisor property ID 4934558...Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.