This 900 sqft classic, colonial apt captures the essence of old world Cuenca. Enjoy the comforts of a home for what you’d pay for an average hotel (where all you get is a room with a bed and bathroom)!
Following the description of this apt is a 'checklist' of things you might consider when examining other listings. Be sure to look it over so you get the RIGHT FIT FOR YOU!!!
Now, about this apt.....
Situated in an old colonial building, right in the heart of Cuenca’s El Centro, within easy walking distance to all the amenities you could want! Even though the building dates back to before we were born, the apt has been completely upgraded and modernized but without losing the character and charm.
- Close to the blue-domed Cathedral, flower market, and Parque Calderon, the center of the Universe when it comes to Cuenca’s activities, festivals, tourism office, tour bus, etc.
- EZ walk to large mercado brimming with fresh fruits, produce, and seafood
- Otavalan textile vendors (clothing, scarves, tapestries) line the nearby Plaza San Francisco
- Just a few blocks to the Tomebamba river and greenbelt, great for people watching, running, biking, exercise
- Eateries from cheap Ecuadorian to fancy to expat-owned all around you.
- Want a taxi or a bus? They're ripe for picking anywhere you happen to be in El Centro.
Elevators are very rare in the older buildings of Cuenca. The unit necessitates a 1 flight walk up.
The kitchen has plenty of counter (prep) space plus lots of cabinets and drawers and…it’s fully stocked with everything you’ll need (except food!)…gas cooktop/oven, microwave, toaster, toaster oven, blender, coffee maker, food processor, and tall refrigerator. Coffee/tea, condiments, cooking oil and spices are also provided. Also, in this large space, you’ll find the washer AND a dryer (VERY uncommon here!!) and off to the side, an antique office desk for your computer moments.
The living room is HUGE with dramatic 11ft high ceilings of elaborate design, trimmed with equally dramatic crown moldings, and topped off with large, ornate, wrought iron chandeliers. Large windows let in plenty of light. The living area is outfitted with a large L-shaped sofa, flat screen TV (with HDMI ports so you can watch TV (even USA stations!) from your laptop), and DVD player (with library of over 100 DVD’s to choose from). Off to the side is the dining area with a nice table and 4 chairs. Throughout the apartment, you’ll find pieces of art by local artisans like ceramics by Eduardo Vega, handmade candelabras by local metalworkers, and Otavalan tapestries. You’ll be happy as a clam.
The bedroom is situated in the back away from the front of the building and has a queen-sized bed. It has a beautiful antique armoire (closet), its own private bath with shower (towels and bedding provided).
OH!! A cell phone AND internet are provided, too!
Yet another feature (as if you needed more!) is a rooftop terrace (exclusive access for my guests only)mwith table and chairs, great views day or nighttime..
Availability: Please consult the online calendar. I keep my calendar current at all times.
Pricing: You'll find the daily cost of this apt to be less than an average hotel here in Cuenca, especially when you consider the additional expenses of eating out all the time. AND, if you stay a month or longer, you'll get a significantly discounted month-rate, saving you even MORE money!! Ask yourself..."How many nights would I get for the same price, if I stayed at a hotel?”
ASK FOR SPECIAL RATES...for stays longer than 45 nights!
When you arrive in Cuenca, I will pick you up at your arrival point (whether that be the airport, bus terminal, or van service), bring you to the apartment, give you a short orientation, answers any questions, and hand over the keys!!
YOUR CHECKLIST WHEN VIEWING OTHER LISTINGS
* Location. Can you walk to most everything you'll want to do, or do you always need to take a taxi or bus to get there?
* Does the unit have hot water at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink (rare here), and shower?
* Does the shower have direct-piped hot water, or one of those electric shower-heads that produce only lukewarm water (known as 'widow-makers')?
* Does the unit have an oven or just a cooktop?
* Does it have both a washer and dryer IN the unit?
* Does it have a tiny fridge? Is it sitting on the floor where you darn near have to get on your knees to get anything?
* If 2 people are sleeping in the same bed, can they walk around both sides of the bed? Is the bed FULL or QUEEN?
* Is the bed(s) located in the SAME space as the living room?
* Does the furniture look comfortable or is it rigid and formal and/or crammed together in a tiny space?
* Does the kitchen come with all the amenities you’ll want/need to prepare meals and save a few bucks from eating out all the time?
These kinds of things can make the difference between an 'okay' experience and a great one.TripAdvisor property ID 4934558...Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.