The town of Ellijay, Georgia was founded in 1832 at the point where the Ellijay and Cartecay rivers come together and flow toward Carters Lake. This beautiful 3200-acre lake forms the backdrop for a perfect Georgia-mountains style family vacation and draws visitors from all over every year.
This beloved area of Gilmer County is also home to the Chattahoochee National Forest and the southernmost end of the Appalachian Trail, high up in the misty violet peaks of Springer Mountain. The Amicalola Falls State Park also lies close to Ellijay, offering trails to some of the most beautiful waterfalls and overlooks in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. Come here to explore the Appalachian wilderness, splash in the lake, and make some lasting family memories.
There are also plenty of relaxing indoor activities available in and around Ellijay. Go shopping in the outlet malls, play golf on some of Georgia's most pristine emerald courses, or relax in a luxury spa. In the evening, enjoy live music and local cuisine at Gilmer County's laid back restaurants and nightspots.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Hike the trails: Explore the Chattahoochee National Forest by foot, mountain bike or on horseback.
- Go bird watching: The forest is home to many elusive species of eastern mountain birds. Take your binoculars and bird books to the woods early in the morning and you may meet other quiet visitors doing the same.
- Go apple picking: Many apple orchards around Ellijay and Gilmer County open their doors and trees to the public in the fall, when apple picking is a cherished ritual here. Gilmer County is also the home of the Georgia Apple Festival that takes place every October.
- Take advantage of seasonal events: Ellijay is known for its live music venues and seasonal outdoor music events.
- Play on the lake: Take a boat out and watch the sun rise, go swimming, fish for bass and trout, or fly across the mirror surface of Carter Lake on a jet ski.
- Visit the Dahlonega Gold Museum: Explore this museum and historic site to learn more about the events surrounding the 1829 Georgia Mountains gold rush.
You'll find plenty of excellent places to stay in and around Ellijay. You may want to choose a vacation rental close to the activities that interest you the most. Find a secluded cozy cabin with a fireplace if you plan to arrive in winter and snowshoe along the backcountry trails. Or, rent a lakeside condo big enough to host your friends and family during the summer months.
This cabin is awesome! We used it for a quick girls getaway and had a blast! The beds are so comfortable, the kitchen is just perfect, and the living space has every comfort of home. We saw deer around every corner (even lying in the yard,) and I could stare at the mountain view all day. Downtown Ellijay is adorable with lots of antique ships and restaurants. We also went to a few apple stores and ate too much homegrown goodies. You will not be disappointed if you stay at this cabin. Thanks!
We used the Cozy Cottage for our honeymoon the weekend of May 29, 2015. We arrived really late and it was pitch black dark! I called Kim to make sure we were in the right place. She was very nice and pleasant and told me we just missed the driveway. We were satisfied with the cozy cottage. They had a bottle of wine for us. We really enjoyed our stay. The cottage has everything you need! I just want to say 'thanks" to Kim for turning me on to Bath and Body Works Pink Chiffon. My husband absolutely loves it and so do I. Just know my husband bought me some more. It's a great stay for the price and a nice little getaway. We didn't see the goats or chickens, but it's ok. I love the balcony and the hot tub. My husband loved the hot tub so much, he is thinking about getting one. I can't say enough about the Cozy Cottage. We really enjoyed ourselves. It's so nice and quiet and not far from town.
"Relaxing stay that pleased 4 different generations!"
Left on 06/30/2015 for a stay in June 2015
My family and I had a beautiful stay! Our group of 7 consisted of my middle aged parents, my father's aunt, my teenage nieces and my 7 year old niece. The children loved the loft and we all enjoyed strolling in the evenings and listening to the creek on the porch. The kitchen was well stocked for us to cook and enjoy our big family breakfast! And there were plenty of dishes and silverware. We loved the upstairs porch! Favorite spot of all :D.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.