Whether you want a bustling beach town during the summer months that's full of energy and things to do, or a calm winter getaway where the sun shines brightly on the picturesque Colonial architecture, this city has something for everyone! For some of the best architecture in the city, walk along Rua da Misericordia or Rua Alexandre Herculano and shop in the boutiques while you're there.
Don't leave Faro without making time for these other must-see attractions and destinations:
- Centro Historico: The old city of Faro is full of cobblestone streets and 18th century Portuguese architecture that has not only remained untouched, but almost completely intact.
- Rio Formosa: For a great day trip option, visit this nature reserve that stretches from the tip of Portugal into Spain and is full of rare and exotic animals.
- Praia de Faro: The most popular beach in the area is several miles long, meaning that you'll have plenty of sand to yourself even during the busiest months of the summer.
- Faro Jewish Heritage Centre: The center houses a number of attractions including a cemetery and a museum that puts on regular exhibits about the history of Jewish culture in Portugal.
- Igreja do Carmo church: Inside this church is a chapel that has been decorated with the skeletal remains of over 1,200 former monks.
- Go car-watching: Faro has some wild and wacky automobiles still on the road including pick-up trucks with motorcycle front ends and the almost extinct French brand of Renault automobiles.
Faro seems to have a major local event every week, which means that there will always be something happening whenever you visit. Follow the Portuguese tradition of eating grapes at midnight during the notorious New Year's Eve parties in December, check out classical music performances from leading Portuguese orchestras during the International Music Festival in April, or watch the decorated floats and processions throughout the city during Carnaval in February.
With properties ranging from luxury villas right in the middle of the old city and all the main attractions, to spacious condos with all the creature comforts of home, there's a vacation rental available that will help you get the most out of your stay in Faro.
The Algarve region is quite compact, with all of its main cities in close proximity to one another, making Faro a great spot to use a base for exploring the rest of Portugal or even other countries in Europe. The cities of Lagos, Silves and Tavira can all be reached within 30 minutes by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.