This small island, known by many as Cavaliere, the Island of Knights, features an expansive waterfront promenade and a vibrant bazaar. Its many beautiful beaches are a big draw for visitors who can come to relax or engage in variety of water fun. Sailing in Fethiye is a popular activity with residents and visitors alike but if you'd prefer to stay on land, there are also many entertainment and dining options in town.
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to see in Fethiye:
- Yaka Park: This park includes an old watermill and a stream where visitors can see a variety of fish.
- Pinara: This settlement, one of the principal cities of Lycia, was in existence as early as 5th century BC. The grounds lie in an untouched mountain setting full of lush greenery. From here you can take in spectacular views of the Xanthos valley.
- Saklikent: Centuries ago, this large gorge was cut out of a mountain by an earthquake. Today, it is a popular attraction for visitors. A river runs through it, so the gorge is accessed by a suspended walkway situated on the mountain's side. Once across, guests can wade in the water, picnic, or go tubing.
- The Fethiye Museum: Located off the main street in the center of town, this museum showcases numerous Lycian artifacts, many of which were discovered during excavations of Fethiye. There are exhibits from the Archaic, Bronze, Hellenistic, and Roman ages as well as from Byzantine times.
- Calis Beach: This beach features great sands to relax and play on as well as excellent sights and sunsets. There are also a handful of great restaurants for visitors to head to for a meal after a long day spent in the sun.
When visiting Fethiye, a vacation rental is the best way to explore your surroundings while still enjoying all the comforts of home. A condo downtown will put you in the center of it all, especially if you opt for one near the Fethiye marina.