The outstanding design of the city center, wide range of international events held throughout the year, and diverse population of local residents allow Geneva to have a unique flavor of activities that make for a truly memorable vacation. Stroll through the architectural delights of the Old Town, the parks and charming scenery of Eaux-Vives, and the trendy shops centered along Plainpalais. As one of the most multi-cultural destinations of the world, there's no shortage of historical attractions and cultural headquarters to sample in Geneva.
Be sure to make time for some of these must see attractions while in Geneva:
- Telepherique du Saleve: Located just over the French border, this alpine ridge provides great views of Mt. Blanc and the entire area of Geneva.
- Jet d'Eau: This iconic symbol of Geneva is a fountain which pumps water 140 meters into the air.
- Palais des Nations: Between the stunning assembly hall, large collection of artwork, and beautifully landscaped grounds, there is certainly no shortage of attractions to see here.
- L'lle: Visit the remains of this fortified castle from the 13th century.
- St. Pierre Cathedral: Take the archaeological tour beneath this cathedral.
- Museum of the International Committee of the Red Cross: Photographs and artifacts throughout the museum vividly detail t the service that the Red Cross has provided throughout history.
Geneva is known as one of the primary cultural cities of Europe, and the range of events and festivals held here throughout the year are a strong reflection of that. Explore the rural areas of Geneva while you enjoy one of the many wines made in the area during Caves Ouvertes in May, cheer on the competitors during the biggest yacht race in Europe held every June known as Bol d'Or, or watch the elaborate holiday festivities taking place in December during L'Escalade.
Whether you are looking to rent an apartment or condo with sweeping city views or a cozy cabin nestled in the mountains for your stay in Geneva, there's bound to be a property that has everything you need to make your trip unforgettable.
Like most cities throughout Switzerland, Geneva has a very extensive and efficient public transportation system that allows you to get around by bus, tram or even by boat. The country is small enough that you can reach anywhere within two hours by car or train. If you have some extra time to explore, visit the charming canals of Lausanne, the thriving nightlife of Zurich, or the beautiful lake in Basel.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.