The town of Glacier, Washington represents the last stop on the Mont Baker Highway before the entrance to Cascades National Park and the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest. Before the British Columbia Railroad reached this area in 1904, it was a remote and rugged destination for miners and loggers, and a last outpost on the frontier of the untamed Pacific Northwest.
In many ways, it still is. Some parts of the Cascades remain as untouched as they have been for thousands of years. Cross-country skiers and snowboarders are drawn to this place in winter for its secluded powdery runs. Rafters and rock climbers come here during the summer to experience this majestic and challenging terrain.
Here are a few suggestions of things to do during your stay in Glacier:
- Hike the trails: The Heliotrope Ridge rail, the Lake Ann trail and the Table Mountain trail all offer challenging but manageable hikes with views of glaciers, lakes and stunning overlooks.
- Go horseback riding: Explore the Cascades on horseback. This is a romantic and quiet way to experience the landscape.
- See the Church Mountain Landslide: See this spectacular geological formation that was formed when an entire ancient cliff became sheared away by a legendary landslide.
- Hike to Nooksack Falls: These breathtaking waterfalls are just one of many in the Cascades, but on of the most rewarding after a long trail.
- Go whitewater rafting: Rafting is an exhilarating way to experience the canyons at high speed during the heat of the summer.
- Go snowshoeing or cross country skiing: Some trails in the Cascades are closed during snowy winter weather, but the ones that are open can be serene and lovely. This is a great way to spot elusive wildlife.
Although Glacier is not a bustling metropolis, there are still plenty of places to stay in and around Glacier as you plan your adventures in the Cascades. Find a perfect place to stay in the town of Glacier or nearby Kendall, Maple Falls or Bellingham. You can easily book a cozy winter cabin in these areas or a lakeside condo if you're looking for a summer vacation rental.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.