Located right on the Pacific Ocean, the town of Gualala has earned a reputation as one of the premier destinations in Northern California due to its close proximity to the vineyards in the region, stunning nature and local parks, and wide range of fine restaurants and art galleries.
Sample the farmers market and other culinary delights on Main Street, or take a drive along Highway 1 for the boutique shops and beautiful scenery.
While you're in Gualala, be sure to also make time for some of these must-see attractions and destinations:
- Gualala River: Take advantage of the calm river waters for canoeing or kayaking trips.
- Bluff Top Trail: This scenic hiking trail is three miles long and takes you along the Pacific Coast.
- Studio 391 Fine Art Gallery: This gallery has photos, ceramics, and other mediums of art from some of the best artists both in town and across the country.
- Gualala Point Regional Park: Located at the mouth of the Gualala River, this park offers plenty of green space for a picnic, as well as several hiking trails and nature walks.
- Gualala Farmer's Market: You can buy just about anything at these weekend markets at very low prices, from locally grown produce to handmade artwork and clothing.
- Go to the Beach: There is no shortage of pleasant beaches in Gualala, but Bowling Ball Beach and Schooner Gulch State Beach are two of the most popular ones.
This town has plenty of local events taking place on almost a nightly basis, but there are also several major events here throughout the year that are among the biggest in California. Take in one of the free classical concerts during the Summer Chamber Music Weekend Series in July, observe the artwork of top artists throughout Northern California during Art in the Redwoods in August, or take part in the parades and festivities of Gualala's elaborate Independence Day celebrations of July. Even if you're not here during the summer months, the town hosts a wide range of exhibits, lectures and tours throughout the year.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those visiting Gualala. Rent a condo within close proximity to the beaches and parks in the area, a luxury apartment in the heart of city, or a charming wooden cabin in one of the more remote areas of town for your stay.
Several of the towns outside of Gualala are known for their vineyards and wines, so if you have the time, take a tour of the countryside of Napa, Sonoma or Santa Rosa, all of which are located less than an hour away by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.