Located on the north shore of the Island of Kauai, Haena is a picture perfect vacation destination. Like most of Kauai, Haena is a tropical paradise. Some parts of this area also hold spiritual significance to the native people of the island. Several preserved sacred sites here inspire visitors with a sense of quiet respect. Visitors come here to explore the sites, hike the trails, and hear about the Goddess Pele and her contributions to Hawaiian mythology.
Swim and snorkel in the reef lagoon of Ke'e. Visit the Limahuli Garden and Preserve, a botanical garden and nature preserve in a tropical valley at the foot of the Makana Mountain Ridge. Hike or bike the trails of Haena State Park to overlooks with breathtaking views of the ocean and green mountains. Learn more about the culture of native Hawaiian people and see some of the archeological sites in the area believed to be associated with hula traditions.
Here are a few additional suggestions for your trip to Haena:
- See the Waikapala'e Wet Cave: Carved about 4,000 years ago by crashing surf, the wet cave no longer faces the shore and has become a quiet refuge for deep pools of cool water.
- See the Maniniholo Dry Cave: Like the neighboring wet cave, the dry cave was carved by ancient waves that have now receded with the coastline. Visitors can walk all the way inside the dry cave. Both caves play a role in local legend.
- Kaulu Paoa Heiau: Visit this ancient ritual site that lies at the end of a rocky path through a grove of almond trees. The site is a spiritual place dedicated to the goddess Laka.
- Go scuba diving: The island of Kauai provides a home to a brilliantly diverse ecosystem. Explore the reefs and encounter sea turtles and colorful fish.
- Play on the beach: Haena Beach Park is one of the most popular beaches on the island, which is high praise in this area of flawless beaches. Play in the blue waves or relax in the sun.
- Visit Ke'e's Beach: This is another fantastic beach that lies along the road to Haena State Park. Find trailheads here for the Kalalau Trail and the path to the Kaulu Paoa Heiau.
As you schedule your visit to Haena, you'll have no trouble finding the perfect place to stay. Find a condo close to Ke'e Beach or the Na Pali Coast State Park. There are also beautiful ocean villas and luxury vacation rentals on Kauai's northern coast.
Great rentals within 20 miles that match your search
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.