Harbor Springs is a relaxing and charming vacation destination on the north shore of Lake Michigan's Little Traverse Bay. Come here to get away from the bustle of everyday life and take a step back to an earlier era in Michigan's history.
There are plenty of fun things to do here during every season of the year. Popular ski areas provide long powdery runs during the winter, and hiking trails along the shores of the sheltered bay bloom with wildflowers during the summer time. Visit the historic Little Traverse Lighthouse on the harbor peninsula. Take a boat out onto the water to fish for trout. Ride a horse drawn carriage through the streets of Mackinac Island, or go shopping along the quaint side streets of mainland Harbor Springs. Be sure to visit some of the famous architectural landmarks here as well, including the hexagonal house of the famous locomotive inventor Ephraim Shay, and the Douglas House designed by architect Richard Maier.
After a few days of exploration or an afternoon in a luxury spa, enjoy the warm, welcoming atmosphere of the restaurants and nightspots around the harbor.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Have some fun at the Nub's Nob recreational area: Spend a winter day here and explore a wide variety of challenging cross country and scenic downhill ski slopes.
- Play a round of golf: If you arrive during the summer months, play golf on the emerald greens and fairways of Boyne Highlands or Donald Ross Memorial Course.
- Explore Mackinac Island: This historic Island is a national landmark and a step back in time. Horses are the standard form of transportation here, since motor vehicles are not allowed.
- Visit the Oden State Fish Hatchery: Take a tour of this historic fish hatchery, which now includes the Michigan Fisheries Visitors Center.
- Hike the trails: Go hiking or biking along the trails of Sturgeon Bay and Wilderness State Park.
- Visit Castle Farms: Tour around the magnificent formal gardens and stone archways of this beautiful old manor. Several fun annual festivals take place here as well.
You can easily find the perfect place to stay in Harbor Springs during all four seasons of the year. Rent a sleek and modern condo downtown or explore the vacation rental options closer to the shore. Find a beautiful home within a few steps of the beach or rent an elegant cottage on Mackinac Island.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.