Everything is bigger in Texas and the city of Houston is no exception. The fourth biggest city in the United States offers plenty of cultural attractions, sprawling neighborhoods with their own unique charm, and friendly Southern hospitality. Whether you want a big-city adventure or a quiet stay in the suburbs, Houston has something for every type of traveler.
The best nightlife and restaurants in the area can be found in the North Loop while boutique shopping ranging from bargain bins to high-end designers can be found in Neartown. Be sure to check out the historical buildings and array of theater options in the Downtown area.
Here are a few additional suggestions of things to do while in Houston:
- Menil Collection: This free local gallery is a private family collection consisting of artwork ranging from classic Picasso pieces to lithographs from locally renowned artists like David McGee.
- Buffalo Bayou Park: Some of the biggest events and festivals in Houston are held in this 124-acre park.
- Houston Zoo: This zoo has over 4,500 animals and 900 different types of species!
- Space Center Houston: Jump on the space shuttle simulator or learn more about space through the multiple interactive exhibits and presentations that rotate regularly throughout the year.
- Watch a Game: Houston is home to plenty of professional sports teams including the Houston Astros (MLB) and Houston Rockets (NBA).
- The Galleria: Visit the largest mall in Texas and one of the biggest in the entire country for some great shopping.
No matter what time of year you visit there is something going on in Houston. Visit during the months of February and March to see some of the world's best bull riders compete at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. If you are planning a trip for June, enjoy the colorful floats and costumes of the Houston Gay Pride Parade. And if you come to the city in October, join the 200,000+ spectators from all over the world that come for the world's oldest and largest Art Car Parade.
There's no shortage of vacation rentals to choose from in Houston during your stay. Rent a charming condo near many of the public transportation lines, or a luxury apartment with skyline views. You can even rent a beautiful villa in one of the suburbs outside of the city.
If you have some extra time to explore the surrounding area, head 150 miles West to Schlitterbahn, voted the best water park in the world by the Travel Channel, go an hour north by car to the beaches of Galveston, or visit the diverse city of Austin, approximately three hours away by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.