While Hawaii is most commonly known for its beaches, the town of Kamuela, is better known for its cattle pastures and green countryside. Of course, there are also plenty of amazing beaches in town, as well as some of the best restaurants serving authentic Hawaiian cuisine on the Kohala Coast. Whatever your choice of scenery, Kamuela offers picturesque views that make for an unforgettable vacation experience.
Most of the businesses on Kamuela will be centered along Main Street, making it very convenient to go out to dinner or spend the day shopping. In addition, the natural beauty of Kamuela, ranging from crystal blue waters to exotic wildlife, can be found all throughout town.
Here are just a few of the attractions to check out during your time in the area:
- Pacific Tsunami Museum: Learn more about tsunamis and the impact that they have had on the island with the free exhibits that take place here year-round.
- Go Horseback Riding: There are several local companies that offer horseback riding tours through the beautiful paniolo countryside.
- Lyman Museum: This local museum has extensive displays on Hawaiian culture, in addition to a vast collection of local shells and minerals.
- Water Activities: There are plenty of places throughout the island to enjoy family-friendly activities including diving, snorkeling and deep-sea fishing.
- Go to the Beach: Hawaii in general, and especially the Kohala Coast area, are known throughout the world for their sandy white beaches. Mauna Kea Beach and Hapuna Beach are just two of the popular beaches in the area.
- Kona Coffee Tours: Head to nearby Kona for tours of the local coffee plantations and try some free samples of your own.
While you are in Kamuela, be sure to catch one of the live music and traditional dance performances that take place several nights of the week throughout the year. Kamuela is also within close proximity to many of the bigger festivals held on the Kohala Coast. Try extravagant dishes from some of the top chefs in Hawaii at the Christmas at Kona Village Festival in December, watch surf films from around the world at the Kona Surf Film Festival in December, or cheer on the thousands of runners participating in the Hilo to Volcano 50K Ultra Marathon and Relay in January.
With properties ranging from spacious luxury condos with high-end amenities to beautiful villas that are so close to the ocean you can hear the waves from your bedroom, there's bound to be a vacation rental in Kamuela that will be your perfect home away from home.
All the sights and activities of the Kohala Coast are close by so save some extra time to explore the surrounding area. The world-class golfing options in Waikoloa, the hiking options in Lapakahi State Park, and the beautiful views from Pololu Valley can all be reached within a two-hour drive by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.