It is a walk-up, medium sized (250sq.ft) studio apartment on the top (4th) floor, with a wraparound terrace full of potted plants and herbs.
The hosts live on the floor below where breakfast is served and guests can use the internet.
The air-conditioned penthouse has twin beds, which may be joined together to form a double bed if required. It also has a closet, a writing desk, a small refrigerator and arrangements to make tea and coffee. The walls are adorned with an assortment of masks, original paintings and other artifacts from the hosts’ collection. The attached bathroom has running hot/cold water in the shower stall.
The house is located on Sarat Bose Road (originally known as Lansdowne Road) in south Calcutta (or Kolkata if you like). This used to be a quiet residential area on a tree-lined avenue. With urban growth, this area has fast turned into a busy commercial street with old Art-Deco buildings giving way to hospitals, offices, banks, shops and restaurants. Located behind a building facing the main road, ours is partly insulated from the street noise although we are in the bustling heart of south Calcutta.
A host of confectioneries, coffee shops and restaurants are within walking distance of the house. The Airport is an hour away. It takes about 30 minutes to reach Howrah Station and about 20 minutes to Sealdah Station, depending on traffic/mode of transport. The Metro Railway’s Jatin Das Station is just two blocks away, and a 12-minute Metro ride will take you to the downtown area.
Advantages of the neighbourhood:
1. Taxis are available at all times.
2. Bakery on the opposite pavement.
3. A number of good restaurants within a 1 km radius.
4. Close to three major markets.
5. The Dhakuria Lakes are less than a km away.
6. Plenty of shops, pharmacies and laundry services.
7. No water logging in this area during monsoon, so one can enjoy
8. Major Art Galleries are within a 2 Km radius.
9. ATM counter (cashpoint) two houses away.
Proximity to important sites:
1. The Greek Orthodox Church is a short walk (10 minutes).
2. The Kalighat Temple is just a little further up (another 10 minutes).
3. Mother Teresa’s Mission is next to it.
4. The Victoria Memorial Hall is a 10-minute ride on the Metro.
5. The Indian Museum is a 12-minute ride on the Metro.
6. Park Street is also a 12-minute ride on the Metro
7. Esplanade is just about a 15-minute ride on the Metro.
8. The Zoo and the National Library are a 15-minute taxi ride away.
9. Older parts of Calcutta are a 25-minute Metro ride away.
To pack in as much of the city as possible during your visit, consult us. We know this city inside-out. Also pick up a street map from the tourist bureau counter when you land.
What we offer:
1. Airport transfers are charged extra.
2. Welcome drink on the house.
3. Breakfast made by the hosts. Please specify diet preferences.
4. Supply of fresh towels, etc.
5. Bed sheets are changed every week.
6. Traditional Bengali dinner at extra cost.
7. Free internet.
8. Local calls are free from the land line in the dining room.
9. Bengali cooking lessons at extra charge.
10. There is no room service.
We are a family of designers and artists and collectors of traditional arts and crafts, interested in world literature and cinema. Our daughter, who lives a few blocks away, is a jewelry designer and her husband is a travel writer. We love meeting people, cooking and music. Our house is a veritable museum, but much of our collection is locked up in boxes due to space constraints. On occasion we take them out to discuss their inherent artistic qualities to people who are interested. We understand and appreciate the finer things of life but live simply. Our home is cherished by all for its environment of laughter and bonhomie.
Welcome to our home!TripAdvisor property ID 3127593...Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.