The beautiful Polish city of Krakow has something for every type of traveler. Come here to admire the architecture in the historic center, sample the museums and art galleries, or experience the best authentic Polish cuisine in the country. Walk through the beautiful parks and scenery of Zwierzyniec, and the antique stores and boutiques of Kazimierz.
Be sure to save some time for these other must see destinations and activities as well:
- Wawel Castle: Located right in the middle of the Old Town, this several hundred year old castle is the iconic attraction of the city.
- Walk the Planty: This lush green park surrounds the entire Old Town and has plenty of great walking trails.
- Royal Way: A walk across here will take you to St. Florian's Gate, one of Krakow's main attractions.
- Try the cuisine: Polish cooking is filling and delicious. Try the beet soup known as borscht, pierogi, and staple dishes like pork and sauerkraut.
- Auschwitz: Take a tour of this former Nazi camp and historic landmark, located just outside of Krakow.
- Wieliczka Salt Mine: This ancient salt mine was recently listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The large festivals and events in this city tend to be more subdued and sophisticated, with a heavy emphasis on the history and cultural depth of Krakow. Take in one of the dozens of photography exhibitions held throughout the city during Photo Month in May, watch a screening at one of the biggest festivals in Europe during the Krakow Film Festival in June, or sample a wide range of Polish dishes during the Pierogi Festival in August.
Krakow has plenty of fantastic condos scattered throughout the city. Whether you want to be on the Royal Way and within close proximity to all the major cultural attractions and shopping options, or in the nearby suburbs of Bronowice or Debniki, there's a vacation rental in the area that has everything you need for a wonderful holiday here.
The city has an excellent transportation system full of inexpensive trams and buses that will get you anywhere you need to go. Several of these bus lines also go outside of Krakow to the nearby cities that make for great day trips. Head to the renaissance castles 20 miles outside of Krakow in Pieskowa Skala or the Tatra Mountains, located just one hour south by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.