A vibrant, vast, and passionate city, Bogota, Colombia has a little bit of everything for every kind of traveler. The country's capital city succinctly meshes all of its European and American influences into one homogenous yet distinctly cosmopolitan destination. Nature enthusiasts will love Bogota's beautiful surroundings, known for providing excellent opportunities for outdoor adventure, while those interested in learning more about the city's culture will be impressed by Bogota's art and history museums as well as its architecture.
Some of the attractions you will not want to miss include:
- The Banco de la Republica Gold Museum: This museum is host to one of the most renowned collections of pre-Hispanic metallurgy on the planet. It dates back to 1939 and is considered a symbol of the country's cultural memory.
- Monserrate Hill: This hill showcases exquisite panoramic views of the city and beyond. It is impressive in scope and legendary among the area's people for its mystic qualities.
- Simon Bolivar Park: This is Bogota's biggest and most popular park. The area features a lake and many pedestrian walkways.
- Museo Arqueologico: Situated in the city's historic center known as La Candelaria, this colonial-style home was the residence of the first creole to receive an aristocratic title by the Spanish crown. It showcases an impressive collection of colonial artifacts, ancient textiles, and pre-Columbian ceramics.
- Museo de Arte Moderno: Designed by Rogelio Salmona, a renowned modern Colombian architect, this museum features selected 20th-century artworks and a small cinema. It also has a permanent exhibition highlighting the country's greatest painters and sculptors from the past 40 years.
- Museo Botero: Located in the center of the city, this museum hosts works by the country's national treasure, Fernando Botero. Other artists whose works are shown here include Picasso, Dali, Degas, and Chagall.
After a day of exploring Bogota museums, head to a Bogota night club and dance the night away. When you are ready to hit the hay, retreat to your vacation rental and relax in style.