The South Dakota town of Deadwood has long been revered as one of the most legendary US towns during the wild frontier days. Interesting museums, beautiful scenery from the Black Hills, and a wide array of casinos have kept visitors coming back and made it one of the biggest vacation getaways in the region. Most of the restaurants and shops in Deadwood can be found on Main Street, but there's something to explore on just about every street in the area.
Here are just a few of the must-see attractions and activities in Deadwood:
- Adams House Museum: Built by the family of Benjamin Franklin, this historic mansion has been kept in pristine condition and tours of the estate are offered year-round.
- Mount Moriah Cemetery: In addition to being the grave site of legendary figures from the Old West like Wild Bill and Calamity Jane, the cemetery is located on a steep hill that offers amazing views of the whole town.
- Tatanka: This site explores the history of the bison that were in excess of 30 million at one point, but nearly extinct by the end of the 19th century.
- Go Gambling: Midnight Star and Silverado Casino are two of the many top-notch casinos that can be found throughout town.
- Nelson's Garage Car Museum: Some of the most recognizable automobiles from TV and film can be found here including the Jeep from M-A-S-H and the Aston Martin from the first James Bond film.
The majority of the sporting events and musical performances that take place here typically occur during the summer months, but there's plenty to do here whenever you decide to visit. Admire the elaborate costumes and floats at the parade along Main Street for Deadwood Mardi Gras in February, watch some of the top poker players from throughout the US compete at the Deadwood Poker Shootout Tournament in April, and cheer on the riders when the rodeo comes to town in July.
Whether you're looking for a condo with picturesque views, or a cozy and rustic cabin in one of the more remote areas of town, there's a vacation rental that will put you exactly where you want to be in this lovely town. There are properties available throughout Deadwood that can easily accommodate large groups of people and cater to all budget types.
While there are plenty of attractions and things to do in Deadwood, some of the biggest attractions in South Dakota are also within a short drive of town. If you have some extra time to explore, Black Hills National Forest and the Mount Rushmore National Memorial can both be reached within one hour by car.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.