The idyllic, picturesque city of Hana lies in the far southeastern corner of the famed Hawaiian island of Maui. Surrounded by lush tropical rainforests and celebrated as one of the most naturally beautiful areas in all of Hawaii, Hana is quieter than the rest of Maui and is favored by visitors looking to escape the thick crowds and densely populated beaches of the island's more accessible regions.
If you're planning a visit to Hana, there are plenty of unique things to see and do including:
- The Road to Hana: One of Hana's claims to fame, the Road to Hana is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful drives you can take. The road is lined on both sides with tropical vegetation and is typically bathed in golden sunlight. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the sights, too-the speed limit on the road is 15 miles per hour, and the Road to Hana is 40 miles long.
- The Seven Sacred Pools: Part of the Haleakala National Park, several trails outside the town's southwestern reaches lead down to the Seven Sacred Pools coastal area, where sun worshippers soak up the Hawaiian glory in large numbers.
- Waianapanapa State Beach: Don't expect to go swimming here, but bring your camera, as the beach boasts some of the most striking scenery on the entire island.
- Ecotourism: Hana is surrounded by tropical rainforest, perfect for day trips into the wilderness if you're feeling adventurous.
- Water sports: The main beaches surrounding Hana are hotspots for all kinds of water activities, including snorkeling, fishing, parasailing, and boating.
The weather in Hana is pleasant throughout the year, getting plenty of sunshine and a warm breeze. For added comfort and privacy, consider one of the town's plentiful vacation rentals, including condos, villas and beach cabins. Perfect for couples, families and larger groups, vacation rentals offer excellent value for the price, all the amenities of home, and they tend to be better-located and more affordable than hotels. If you have some extra time to explore the area, Maui's other major towns, Kihei and Haiku-Pauwela, are only a few hours' drive away.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.