Situated on the central coast of California within the Monterey Peninsula, Ventura offers the tranquility of a small town featuring breathtaking ocean views and spacious beaches. Visitors appreciate the variety of activities to enjoy as well, from the recreational fun of golfing, diving, and hiking to the cultural endeavors of wine tasting, galleries, and performing arts.
Some of the sights you won't want to miss include:
- Ventura County Wine Trail: As far as wine tours go, this one is very popular. Travelers get to visit several tasting rooms, meet the wine makers, and even indulge in a little shopping at a local farmers' markets.
- Olivas Links: If golfing in gorgeous surroundings is what you are after, Olivas Links is for you. With views of Ventura Harbor, hillsides and the Channel Islands, the course is just as beautiful as it is challenging. It has also been awarded several honors by Golfweek Magazine.
- Ventura County Museum of History & Art: Designed to promote the art, culture, and history of Ventura County, the Channel Islands and outlying region, this museum showcases several collections, exhibitions, special events and educational programs.
- Harbor Village: This area of town has a ton of shops, restaurants, and night clubs and is a hub of activity. You can rent paddleboats and the kids can play at the arcade or ride the carousel.
- Boat Trips: Consider taking a boat cruise chockfull of Ventura County sights as well as dolphins and whale watching.
- Bank of Books: This specialty and antique shop features rare books, first editions, and collectibles with over one million books in their vault!
Once you have finished all your sightseeing, there are a number of great spaces for you to catch some shuteye. Consider enjoying the comforts of a villa or a condo by the beach with spectacular waterfront views, or a vacation rental downtown that puts you in the center of numerous attractions. No matter when or where you decide to stay, you can also enjoy several annual events in town. In April, Ventura Music Festival is a high note, and in October, Pier Under the Stars, a food and wine tasting, is a popular item on the menu. If you are interested in exploring a few neighboring towns, consider taking a day trip to Malibu or Santa Barbara.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.