Apartment 54 is located on the 1st floor (with elevator) of a renovated building on a small square just a few steps from the moorish Castle São Jorge, also near Baixa and Alfama. Nearby you have various forms of traditional Portuguese commerce, and from there you can easily reach most of the popular sightseeing spots in Lisbon. The building, as well as the apartment have been restored in 2007.
It has 75m2 and offers complete modern comfort and amenities with a traditional Portuguese architecture. It includes:
* A bedroom with double bed (140 cm wide);
* A living room with sofa bed (2 people), cable Tv and Hi-Fi;
* A kitchen with all you need including gas oven and stove, fridge with freezer, microwave, washing machine and dishwasher;
* A bathroom with hydro-massaging shower.
* Free wireless internet connection;
* Central Heating
The apartment has a view over the city and river Tejo. The views are even more beautiful at sunset.
We will welcome you with a bottle of wine.
Apartment 54 is located at the Castle S. Jorge, in the highest hill of the historic centre of the city and is one of the main historic and tourist sites of the city.
The first fortification was built in the 2nd century BC by the Romans and grew over the time. It was renovated in the 10th century by the Moors. It was conquered by the first King of Portugal D. Afonso de Henriques and was submitted to big renovation again in 1300, when Lisbon became the capital of the Kingdom.
Between 1373 and 1375, King Ferdinand I ordered the building of a new city wall around Lisbon. This new city wall, which partially replaced the old Moorish walls, was designed to encircle previously unprotected parts of the city. It had 77 towers and a perimeter of 5400 metres, and was built in only two years. There are still some remnants left .The castle is now a big tourist attraction, especially for the wonderful views of Lisbon that it offers.
This location has easy access to Baixa, the Castle (S Jorge) district and also to Alfama and to Santa Clara, where Lisbon's flea-market (Feira da Ladra) takes place.
It is also close to some of the stops of the famous tram number 28. This is a scenic route crossing most of the tourist neighbourhoods of the city centre. A definite must for any visitor to Lisbon.
After the great earthquake of 1755, when the center of Lisbon was destroyed, a new center was constructed, made of grid pattern “geometrical” streets. This area, situated between Praça do Comércio, Rossio and Praça da Figueira is called Baixa.
From Baixa you can easily access the night life district Bairro Alto and the smart Chiado, with all his theatres, museums, elegant and traditional shops, bars and restaurants.
To the other direction, going up street, you will accede Graça and Santa Clara the place where Feira da Ladra (Thief's market ), the flea market, happens every Tuesdays and Saturdays. Here there are also several “musts” not to miss on your visit:
* Panteão Nacional – Church of Santa Engrácia: When the construction began in 1682, it was planned as one of the Lisbon's biggest churches. However, it had been long neglected and the construction was completed only in 1966! It was then that the Panteão Nacional was inaugurated. Here you will find cenotaphs of Portugal's heroes. The interior is colossal and contains the tombs of historic and literary figures - from Vasco da Gama to Amália Rodrigues, the famous fado singer.
* The convent of São Vicente de Fora: Portugal's first king, Afonso Henriques laid the foundations of this church in order to fulfil a vow to construct Christian Houses of worship where Portuguese and European crusaders would lay to rest. Inaugurated in 1629, the church was severely damaged by the 1755 earthquake. It has been recently renovated and deserves a visit. The view from the rooftop is one of the greatest in Lisbon.
* Some "Miradouros" (vantage points) belvederes with amazing views over the castle S Jorge, the river Tejo and the city roofs. (belvederes of Graça with an open-air café and Senhora do Monte 600m further on). The views are even more spectacular at sunset.
If you are coming to our apartment 54, please don't miss Chapitô a circus school, spectacles room, tapas bar and restaurant with one of the most spectacular views of Lisbon. It is next door to the apartment.
The nearest airport is Lisbon International Airport, which is 12 kilometres away.
Come and see for yourself!TripAdvisor property ID 2351628...Read more
Left on 10/11/2011 for a stay in September 2011 | US vacation coupleReviewed Oct 11, 2011Stayed Sep 2011
Having never stayed in apartment before, my wife and I were uncertain what to expect. The pictures looked good and we decided to take the chance.
Well, we were very impressed. The place is new, clean, the bed is comfortable and the photos accurately depict what you will find there. The location near the castle, at the top of a hill, makes it a quiet neigborhood, away from the major flow of people in downtown Lisbon. (which we really liked)
We were very happy and would definitely chose to go this route again. Also, the staff was very helpful and friendly.
Left on 05/10/2011 for a stay in April 2011 | A FlipKey verified reviewerReviewed May 10, 2011Stayed Apr 2011
Very comfortable apartment in a heart of Lisboa if you'd like walking or ready for a chip taxi. Many thanks for fully equipped kitchen. In a small local shop on the corner near miradouro de Santa Luzia there will be all necessary. In a word, it was one of the best my accomodations in Lisbon.
Only one minus is a weak pressure of hot water in a shower. But it is residing costs in an old city.
Left on 09/10/2010 for a stay in August 2010 | Xosé Antón VilaReviewed Sep 10, 2010Stayed Aug 2010
Apartment 54 is very well furnished and is located in a beautiful place. We used the famous 28 tram to go to "baixa" and chiado.
Apartment has a good internet connection and a very well furnished kitchen, It has only one room and a sofa bed. I think is perfect por a couple but some reduced for 4 persons.
It is not possible to acces by car to the apartment, it is forbidden, but you have parking at 400 m.
Left on 08/21/2009 for a stay in May 2009 | SeijiReviewed Aug 21, 2009Stayed May 2009
We had a wonderful visit to Lisbon and enjoyed our stay in Apt. 54. We were able to find the apartment easily and loved it. It has all the amenities we needed and a great location near Alfama, the castle and easy access to Baixa and the trams. The street below was fairly busy during the day with tourists walking around but very quiet at night. We hope to stay there again on our next visit.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.