Apartment 246 is located in a building which allows to have entrance from two different streets: Calçada de Sto André (2 floors up) ou Rua Costa do Castelo (3 floors down), no elevator..
The apartment is an open-space and includes the following:
* a living room with TV, CD and DVD;
* a bedroom with one double bed;
* a complete kitchen with stove, fridge with freezer, microwave;
* a bathroom with shower;
* Free wireless internet connection;
This building has a parking area.
We will welcome you with a bottle of wine.
Located at the Castle S. Jorge district as others, next door.S. Jorge is located in the highest hill of the historic centre of the city and is one of the main historic and tourist sites of the city.
The first fortification was built in the 2nd century BC by the Romans and grew over the time. It was renovated in the 10th century by the Moors; it was conquered by the first king of Portugal D. Afonso de Henriques and was submitted to big renovation again in 1300, when Lisbon became the capital of the Kingdom.
Between 1373 and 1375, King Ferdinand I ordered the building of a new city wall around Lisbon. This new city wall, which partially replaced the old Moorish walls, was designed to encircle previously unprotected parts of the city. It had 77 towers and a perimeter of 5400 metres, and was built in only two years. There are still some remnants left, the castle is now a big tourist attraction, especially for the wonderful views (vista do Castelo de S. Jorge) of Lisbon that it offers.
This location has easy access to Baixa, the Castle (S Jorge) district and also to Alfama and to Santa Clara, where Lisbon's flea-market (Feira da Ladra) takes place.
It is also close to some of the stops of the famous tram number 28. This is a scenic route crossing most of the tourist neighbourhoods of the city centre. A definite must for any visitor to Lisbon.
After the great earthquake of 1755, when the center of Lisbon was destroyed, a new center was constructed, made of grid pattern "geometrical" streets. This area, situated between Praça do Comércio, Rossio and Praça da Figueira is called Baixa.
From Baixa you can easily access the night life district Bairro Alto and the smart Chiado, with all his theatres, museums, elegant and traditional shops, bars and restaurants.
To the other direction, going up street, you will accede Graça and Santa Clara the place where Feira da Ladra (Thief's market ), the flea market, happens every Tuesdays and Saturdays. Here there are also several "musts" not to miss on your visit:
* Panteão Nacional - Church of Santa Engrácia: When the construction began in 1682, it was planned as one of the Lisbon's biggest churches. However, it had been long neglected and the construction was completed only in 1966! It was then that the Panteão Nacional was inaugurated. Here you will find cenotaphs of Portugal's heroes. The interior is colossal and contains the tombs of historic and literary figures - from Vasco da Gama to Amália Rodrigues, the famous fado singer.
* The convent of São Vicente de Fora: Portugal's first king, Afonso Henriques laid the foundations of this church in order to fulfil a vow to construct Christian Houses of worship where Portuguese and European crusaders would lay to rest. Inaugurated in 1629, the church was severely damaged by the 1755 earthquake. It has been recently renovated and deserves a visit. The view from the rooftop is one of the greatest in Lisbon.
* Some "Miradouros" (vantage points) belvederes with amazing views over the castle S Jorge, the river Tejo and the city roofs. (belvederes of Graça with an open-air café and Senhora do Monte 600m further on). The views are even more spectacular at sunset.
The nearest airport is Lisbon International Airport, which is 12 kilometres away.
Come and see for yourself!TripAdvisor property ID 1937364...Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.