Apartment in Lisbon 256 - Baixa/Castelo - managed by travelingtolisbon
Description from the manager
Apartment 256 is located on the third floor (no elevator) of a renovated 18thC building on a small street near Martim Moniz, Costa do Castelo and Baixa.
Inspired by multicultural Lisbon you will find in this apartment something traditional, something ethnic and something new. In fact, most of it new. And a lot of comfort. Recently renovated and refurbished, a great and fun apartment has come to life!! For large families (or small) groups of friends or, in business, you will find that here you have all you need for a great stay. With a maximum capacity of 8 people you can, not only stay all together, as you will be very close to all sorts of amenities. Nearby you have various forms of traditional Portuguese commerce, and from here you can easily reach most of the popular sightseeing spots in Lisbon.
This apartment has been renovated in order to include the following:
* 2 double bedrooms with double beds;
* 2 single rooms;
* 1 closet area (perfect for everyone, not just the girls)
* a living room/ lounge area to unwind and share stories at the end of the day;
* the TV room, with a double sofa bed
* a kitchen that has all you need including gas stove and oven, fridge with freezer, microwave, washing machine; as well as a sitting area
* 2 bathrooms with shower
* 1 wc
It is also a short walking distance to the subway (Martim Moniz station), Rossio and Praça da Figueira. If you are planning going farther the Rossio Train station to Sintra is not even a 5mns walk and 15mns walk to Cais do Sodré train station (for Estoril Coast)
There is also one public car park within a 5 minute walk of the apartment (Martim Moniz).
Cable internet access available for those who have their own laptop.
In wintertime the apartment is heated with electric heaters.
We will welcome you with a bottle of wine.
Apartment 256 is located on a side street of the main road which connectsMartim Moniz square to the Castelo quarter.
This location has easy access to Baixa, the Castle (S. Jorge) district and also to Alfama and to Santa Clara, where Lisbon's flee-market takes place.
It is also close to some of the stops of the famous tram 28 (Electrico 28). This is a scenic route crossing most of the tourist neighbourhoods of the city centre. A definite must for any visitor to Lisbon.
After the great earthquake of 1755, when the center of Lisbon was destroyed, a new center was constructed, made of grid pattern "geometrical" streets. This area, situated between Praça do Comércio, Rossio and Praça da Figueira is called Baixa. Martim Moniz is next to this quarter. Martim Moniz, and its surrounding area, has been having a face lift for some years now. You will find that its square is a place for concerts, bars, exhibitions, a place of get togethers.
From Baixa you can easily access The nigh life district Bairro Alto and the smart Chiado, with all his theatres, museums, elegant and traditional shops, bars and restaurants.
Or if you choose to go up hill, you will accede Graça and Santa Clara the place where Feira da Ladra (Thief's market ), a flea market that happens every Tuesdays and Saturdays. And the Castle of course.
There are several other "musts" around this area not to be missed on your visit:
* Panteão Nacional - Church of Santa Engrácia: When the construction began in 1682, it was planned as one of the Lisbon's biggest churches. However, it had been long neglected and the construction was completed only in 1966! It was then that the Panteão Nacional was inaugurated. Here you will find cenotaphs of Portugal's heroes. The interior is colossal and contains the tombs of historic and literary figures - from Vasco da Gama to Amália Rodrigues, the famous fado singer.
* The convent of São Vicente de Fora: Portugal's first king, Afonso Henriques laid the foundations of this church in order to fulfil a vow to construct Christian Houses of worship where Portuguese and European crusaders would lay to rest. Inaugurated in 1629, the church was severely damaged by the 1755 earthquake. It has been recently renovated and deserves a visit. The view from the rooftop is one of the greatest in Lisbon.
* Some "Miradouros" (vantage points) with amazing views over the castle S. Jorge, the river Tejo and the city roofs:miradouro da Graça with an open-air café and Senhora do Monte 600m further on. The views are even more spectacular at sunset. Don't miss it!
The nearest airport is Lisbon International Airport, which is 5 kilometres away....Read more
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 rentals around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.