Located on the coast of southern California just south of the heart of Los Angeles, Long Beach offers the very best of an activity-filled, postcard perfect summer vacation. This place provides an ideal getaway from the bustle of everyday life, and there are so many things to do and see here, you'll want to come back again and again.
After a day of boating, windsurfing, museums and harbor side shopping, relax and watch the sun set from the glittering Waterfront Center. Then enjoy the world-class restaurants and lively nightlife of this high-energy beach town.
See a live performance of the Long Beach Symphony Orchestra. Visit the Museum of Latin American Art. Try the batting cages at the state-of-the-art Home Depot Sports Complex. And while you're visiting Long Beach, take a short hour's drive to the south to see Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Disney's California Adventure.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Visit the Aquarium of the Pacific: More than 11,000 marine animal species are housed here. Have a close encounter with the fascinating creatures of southern California and Baja, and learn more about the biodiversity of this area.
- Tour the Queen Mary: Once a World War II troop transport ship, the Queen Mary took her final voyage in 1967 and has now been opened to the public. Climb aboard and take a step back in time.
- Take a whale-watching cruise: Charter trips leave daily from Balboa and Newport. Take a rare opportunity to see 90-foot blue whales gliding majestically through the waters of the Pacific.
- Visit Catalina Island and the town of Avalon: Just an hour off the coast of Long Beach, Catalina Island is a perfect vacation getaway.
- Wander the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden: This Japanese Garden is an educational resource for California State University and a magnificent living work of art on a 1.3 acre plot.
- See a show: See a show at the Art Theater of Long Beach. Built in 1924, this theater is a relic of cinema's golden age.
You'll have no trouble finding a place to stay in Long Beach. There are luxury condos and beautiful ocean villas around every turn here. Choose a vacation rental with all the comforts of home that offers everything you and your family need. An elegant apartment in Long Beach can provide the perfect starting point for adventures, new experiences and lasting memories.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.